What's new

Bluetooth wireless keyboard&mouse-guinea pig.. (1 Viewer)

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Well I decided to try this package for gaming on the pc. I was torn between the mx700 logitech, and grabbing a solo wireless keyboard.
I opted for the microsoft bluetooth package. It has a greater range (30ft), as opposed to 6ft. Not a big deal, but I wanted to try to sit on the couch and surf the web on the bigscreen, through my s-video out.
I've only had it 2 days but so far it works great for most everything. I haven't put it through any hardcore fps gaming except one 20 min match of quake 3. I had no problems with the keyboard, but the mouse spun out on me twice, which I'm not sure yet if it was my fault being new to using an optical mouse. I have a tendency of picking up a mouse and repositioning it.
Only drawbacks I can forsee is battery replacement. The logitech mouse is rechargeable, microsoft's takes two AA's.
So I've got about 2 weeks to try it out and see if it stays.
If anyone has the logitech mx700 logitech, or a wireless keyboard package, like the bluetooth, express your opinions here!

John

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just fyi the Gyration wireless Ultra suite is a popular choice in HT circles. It has a 25' range and rechargeable mouse than can also work in mid air with its gyros. I tried it out on my professor's laptop. Very compact and good build quality.

$100 at Microcenter.com

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'm still debating which ones to get for my setup. I'm going to be running a DVI cable from my PC to my projector and am looking for the best keyboard/mouse combo, the Gyration might be the way to go.

Glen

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like the look of that gyration mouse, looks goofy to me. I'm not sure how it would handle fps games if you lifted it up to readjust. I'm going to play quake 3 tonight for a couple hours and give this bluetooth a thorough testing. Also I have a little girl who loves to grab the mouse and keyboard so this has ben a godsend!

John

EdR

Second Unit
I've had the Logitech MX700 for several months, and I can say without exaggeration that it is the best mouse I've ever used, and I've used quite a few including previous generations of wireless opticals.

The main reason this mouse is so good is that it tracks phenomenally well, you can shake the mouse side to side as fast as your hand can move and it never loses track. With my older optical, a quick flick of the hand, and the cursor would often sit still or even backtrack...this never happens with the MX700. Its tracking resonsiveness is better than even the best ball-mouse I've used.

One result of this amazing tracking is that this mouse will work on almost any surface. I frequently find myself using it on carpeting or my bed when I'm running my computer through my projector, and it works as well as it does on a flat desk.

The rechargability sold me in the first place. It comes with a set of AA NiHM which are removable if needed, but all you have to do is put the mouse into its cradle every couple of days (depending on the amount of use) and it will charge them up.

It also has a nice set of buttons, which are well placed. I used to shun mice with more than 2 buttons and a wheel, but I actually use the extra buttons on this one.

I think they were being conservative when they say 6' range. I've used it at abour 10 feet and never had trouble.

Lastely it's quite comfortable, but clearly designed for right-handed people. I'm sure a lefty could use it fine, but it seems specially adapted for right hands.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
i guess the reason I went with the bluetooth is because I am looking for both a wireless keyboard and mouse to game with. No doubt the mx700 is the best,and that rechargeability is great. How about logitech's wireless keyboards? How do they stand up to fps gaming?
If they're good I could take back this bluetooth combo,and go with a logitech wireless keyboard, and the mx700 mouse and save about 50.00...

John

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh, microsoft doesn't sell any standalone wireless keyboards, only combos. Logitech sell a wireless keyboard that uses rf and has a range of 6 ft, so I may try that, and get the mx700.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks