Blues fans, need help

Discussion in 'Music' started by DustinTaj, Dec 9, 2005.

1. DustinTaj

DustinTaj Stunt Coordinator

Hi all.

My dad is a HUGE blues fan. Fortunately, I can say I very much like his love of the blues and I enjoy listening to it, but I have not made it a hobby of mine as has he. As such, I know relatively little compared to him (and probably most of you).

This makes it very difficult when it comes to giving him a gift related to the blues. I would very much like to give him a Christmas gift that he would LOVE and that would surprise him and which is blues related. However, I don't want to get him something he doesn't want or already has.

He subscribes to "blues review" magazine and purchases a lot of the music that they review. I was wondering if anyone here could provide me some ideas or some links to places where I could maybe get some ideas for an outstanding Christmas gift for the ultimate blues fan.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I can't tell you about what types of blues he listens to, but I can assure you he's probably got stuff many "blues fans" haven't heard of. This makes it difficult for me as well.

Well, thanks to you all if you can help.

-DD

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Why don't you give him the new SA-CD of Hubert Sumlin's Blues Guitar Boss. It is a re-issue of a 1990 album but odds are he doesn't have it already...or maybe the SA-CD of Guitar Shorty with Otis Grand's My Way Or The Highway...it's newly recorded and there's almost no chance he already has it.

3. DustinTaj

Unfortunately, the old man doesn't have an SACD or DVD-A player.

Would those be available in normal CD offerings?

Would any of you think it worthwhile to find a good sampler CD? Something like those listed here: http://www.cosmik.com/aa-septemberoc...5/eric115.html

My thinking is that a sampler possibly offers new artists to discover and potentially buy into.

Thanks,

-DD

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You might want to look at Alligator Records - http://www.alligator.com/

I got a Critical Guitar Blues Sampler a couple of years back that was very good.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dustin, they're hybrid, CD-compatiable, SA-CD's. So, they are the CD version too, no problemo!

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I have a preference to old Chess Label blues myself, or the Complete Cobra Recordings of Otis Rush.

7. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

Depends on how deep a catalog he already has. But you can't go wrong with a Muddy Waters anthology (and if you go to http://www.hip-oselect.com, they have an exclusive special edition of his later Chess recordings (it's expensive at $40 but a gorgeous package).

As Larry already said, anything from the Chess catalog is a sure thing.

You can go as modern as Robert Cray or as roadhouse as Delbert McClinton. A Robert Johnson anthology is a no-brainer. You can go blues-light with Keb Mo, or R&B/bluesy with Susan Tedeschi. If you want to cover all bases, the 5-CD Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues is a thorough, thoughtful overview.

If you go to a local Tower Records, talk to someone in the Blues department - they're very lonely and will appreciate the attention.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Dustin
    This might be easier, buying music for big fans is hard.

http://www.sfblues.com/merchandise/

I have about 10 of the posters in nice frames down our hallway and they look great.

[​IMG]

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Maybe a new blues artist. Keb Mo is great.

[​IMG]

11. DustinTaj

Thanks all. I'm sure he's probably got about everything Muddy Waters has done. He's got a pretty good collection of Aligator samplers, so I probably couldn't pick one he doesn't have.

He has some Keb Mo, but I'm not sure how much.

I think Grant B may be right. I was looking at some artwork by Grego (don't know much about that sort of thing) but I really wouldn't know what to get him, and it can be expensive.

I'll check out that link you gave me Grant. If anyone else has any ideas, I appreciate the input.

Thanks all for your help.

-DD

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Dustin

I went to the Chicago Festival and got some great posters from that one too if you want to search for it and see if they have some online.
    You are right about buying him music. I have 1000s cds and generally either:
    1) I have it
    2) I don't like it

Posters like that are affordable and generally unique
    Good Luck
    Grant

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Dustin, I purposely gave you 2 suggestions of very recently released albums so it would be hard for you to get him one he already had. I think you could feel confident getting either and that it's unlikely he'd have them.

The posters ain't a half bad idea. If I was doing that, I'd get it pronto and go to Michael's (craft chain) and frame it for him too. Does he have posters already? If not, maybe that's an indicator he's outgrown them...?

14. DustinTaj

Thanks Rachael, I will look into those.

Grant, do you know of any other links where I could get original artwork or posters?

Thanks,

-DD

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

No those are the only ones I know of; The Blues tend to be a very narrow market that does not sell like crap-for-the-masses.
    There are some magazines like living blues which might have some stuff in the back or look on ebay.

16. DustinTaj

Rachael, thank you for your help on this topic. I ended up taking a gamble and buying the Guitar Shorty album. When he went to open it, he said..."well, let's see what album Dustin thought I might like" and I said "well, it's probably something you already have..." and before I could say more he started chuckling and got a big grin on his face and said "no, I don't have this, but I saw him live at the..." and proceeded to tell me the story.

It worked out well.

I was looking to do the art thing, but i couldn't make up my mind.

This with the scale model of the Pontiac Solstice I got him (the car he ordered 2 months ago and will not be ready for 2 more) were probably his favorite two gifts. Awesome.

Thanks a lot to those who offered suggestions. And a personal thanks to Rachael for the help.

-Dustin

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] You're welcome! I'm glad you had a nice Yule season!!! I didn't see this earlier because I was sick for awhile and lost track. Best wishes!