Blueprint drivers again?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Gilvey, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Like I could relate to that.....[​IMG]

Interesting. If the pricing could be similar to those offered by the original BluePrint, they'd have a winner...

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Alright! I thought after these disappeared a while ago Id never see tehm again unless it was off Ebay. This is sweet. Im gonna put the T/S in Unibox and have some fun.

5. Scott Simonian

Anyone know the Le of these drivers?

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

If I recall correctly, it's pretty high, ~10mH.

7. Scott Simonian

Yeah. I remember everyone saying that when you bought yourself a BluePrint you also have to get a BFD cause of the high inductance.

Okay, back to the spreadsheets.

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I've yet to see a sub that didn't benefit from EQ. So it's certainly no a big deal that the BluePrints need a little bit of added contouring in the top end.

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Hi guys,
    Yep, these are the same guys as the originals except with an update or two, mainly the 12 spoke basket instead of the original 4 spoke and the motor is a bit prettier too. Because of that (and some other small issues) the price had to be raised slightly but they still offer an excellent bang for the buck for an excellent driver.

The one thing about the higher Le is that 1. it can be equalized out easily or 2. people with mains that can play to 70Hz or lower can just cross the LFE lower than 70Hz and it becomes a non issue.

10. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Match a 1003 up with a Parts Express 1000W amp and a pair of RCM-Acustik BassExciter radiators and you should be on your way for bass. Also, I saw a great design some time ago for a pair of 1503s in a sonotube that had one 1503 at the top and another at the bottom.

11. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There were two of those designs. Anthony Gomez built one, and I built Tube-Zilla

12. Scott Simonian

Ah yeah, Thomas. Ive been contemplating a Tubezilla for a couple of months but had no Blueprints in sight. To me anyway. Now that they are back on the market or at least availble from one of my favorite places to buy things, Acoustic Visions!

Geez, why was it that BluePrint went out of bussiness? Was it not enough bussiness?

AGGGH!! I got to get me a couple of 15"s.

Oh! I remember. Kyle, when do you speculate the 18"s will be in stock from your site?

ThomasW, is there anymore information about your Tubezilla and maybe its performance. I know it is a sealed design, did you implement a Linkwitz Transform circuit?

13. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I'm not positive on an exact date yet but it shouldt be too terribly long.

14. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Scott,

Sorry no performance data.

I built it, then realized that I had no place to use it. As a result it was put in storage in the basement.

I can tell you that given it's relatively small size, it needed BIG power to light it up.......we use both channels of a Aragon 8008. Using that enabled the sub to literally shake my entire house...... [​IMG]

15. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I re-tuned my 1503 just recently. I used it and a couple of monitors for my bro's Stag and Doe(think pre-reception for the wedding) in a fair size hall without problems. Infact I was able to shake the ceiling tiles on a 12' ceiling. The hall was at least 50' by 50'.

I had originally tuned it at 19hz in a 150l enclosure. Which was a mistake in itself as I tuned to low IMO. I didn't include the flares. Compared to my dual sealed av12's the bass is way more "in your face foundation shaking" but the 12's are better for music. Both are eq'd and have almost identical freq' response. The 1503 is tuned to about 22hz now.

16. Rory Buszka

Personally, I really like the TubeZilla. Kyle should offer a 10", 12", and 15" version in his product line, of course appropriately renamed to suit his different naming scheme. I think that one day, when my PR'ed AV12 becomes not enough and I have a bigger place, I will probably build a pair of TubeZillas.

How did the TubeZillas sound?

I heard something about a new type of foam allowing greater longevity of foam surrounds.

17. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

A pair of Tube-Zilla subs would be totally overkill. I mean we're talking 4 high-excursion 15"s.

Tube-Zilla driven by the Aragon 8008 literally shook my entire 4000sq ft brick house. What's the point of more?

Pete's ported 1503 is an outstanding sub. Now a pair of those make sense, and wouldn't take thousands of watts to drive...

18. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I'm no expert, but isn't FS: 26Hz a little high for HT use?

19. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Fs is simply the resonant frequency of the driver's cone. Drivers can and do play lower than their Fs. Doing so just takes a little extra EQ depending on room gain

All the ported 1503's I've used in ported alignments, were tuned to ~18Hz and did well with that tuning.

20. Rory Buszka

The biggest thing is that these offer a cheaper alternative to things like the Brahma and Tumult in applications where it is not really all that necessary to have that little extra measure that XBL^2 adds and where it would be better to save the extra money.

I like the idea of the sealed dual 1503's because it eliminates worry about port noise and power is relatively cheap. What was the Q of those drivers in that size sealed space? With my PRed AV12 still not finished (Parents won't let me get some essential parts until I bring my grades up :b ) I'm hardly in a position at this stage to consider upgrading beyond the AV12 since I haven't even heard it yet. I'm just seeking to analyze this.

After playing with the 1003, I hope Kyle is prepared to offer some 1003-series passive radiators, because it wants some extremely long ports. On the other hand, a 1 cu. ft. sealed box with LT could yield a very interesting device, with a Q of 0.34.