Blueprint 1803 Passive Radiators

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Stegaw, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Michael Stegaw

Michael Stegaw Auditioning

What recommendations are there for PR enclosure specs for the Blueprints? Air volume, # of pr's, and size of the pr's? I'm looking for a 15hz tuning without sacrificing output.

Also, is anyone aware of PR design software available?

thanks

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Michael,
    I looked into this a while ago when I pre-ordered my 1803, and I decided that a PR box didn't make sense to me. In order to get a good-looking (to me) reflex alignment, the box needed to be quite large anyway (350 liters or so), so there was really no huge benefit to PRs as an 8" port would fit nicely.
    If PRs are needed, though, I'd say at least three of the Stryke 18" (stryke.com) models would be called for.
    Here's software that does PR's and everything else:
    http://www.danbbs.dk/~ko/ubmodel.htm
    http://www.linearteam.dk/winisdpro.html

3. Michael Stegaw

Michael Stegaw Auditioning

Interesting. I understand that with the 8x48" port, you need 283 liters for 18hz tuning. 350 liters would seem right for the 15hz, but PR boxes are supposed to work in a fraction of that. The new guy, B Wilkening at Blueprint, suggested that a 15hz tuning can be achieved in 5ft^3. No weight on the PR's was given or what kind he used. I'm still waiting for another response from him. I'll also toy around with that software and see what comes up.

thanks

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I should have been clearer about what I meant about an alignment "looking good". In order to achieve somewhat of a flat curve down low, the 1803 needs a pretty big box, on the order of 14 ft^3. This is determined by the driver, regardless of whether PRs or ports are used. Now, in that large a box, one can use a really wide port and still have the length remain reasonable. It's in a case like this, where a large box is called for anyway, that the benefits of PR's are not as evident.