What's new

Blueprint 1803 applications! (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I think I remember some discussion on the MRS over on AVS(?). If I recall correctly, the drivers used are not quite up to the level of quality of the HE15, so Thomas' uber-capable hands (as well as Bob's) should certainly be able to at least clone the performance, if not the identical look.
Do you remember that discussion, Bob?
I find that AS-15 rather inspirational, and I thought a large version, with the 1803 and two 6" flared ports, would be just the bomb. If only it would fit in the apartment my wife would encourage me to find.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 31, 2001 at 12:09 PM]

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Here's a look inside a Krell MRS. Do these drivers look familar? They sure aren't HE-15's, or even BP1503's
MRS2.jpg

MRS4.jpg

Woofer burn-in station
img12.jpg

MRS power amp with the 216 output devices mounted (we won't be kloning this part :) )
img15.jpg

[Edited last by ThomasW on October 31, 2001 at 02:26 PM]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,
Does the BASSIS unit also have built-in phase control? My sub will be within 2 feet of the rear corner of the room and wonder if I'll have phase issues without a 0-180 degree phase adjustment. At least the sub will only be 4-5 feet from my listening position.
Brian

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Brian
No it's doesn't have phase controls. http://www.marchandelec.com/wm8.htm But I doubt that you'll have any major phase issue problems, but the distance from the corner may create comb filter effects .
[Edited last by ThomasW on October 31, 2001 at 03:20 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Those drivers have that TC Sounds look to them, the magnet and the frame, but they don't look as "substantial" as the ones you mentioned. Tough to tell, though.
How much does the MRS cost?
Hmm, imagine one with two 1803's...
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 31, 2001 at 03:13 PM]

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
I find that AS-15 rather inspirational, and I thought a large version, with the 1803 and two 6" flared ports, would be just the bomb. If only it would fit in the apartment my wife would encourage me to find.
Yes, I agree. I would love to see and hear an 18" version of the same design as the AS 15. I would suspect that this might deliver the finest performance in a box possible from this driver. Is anyone planning on going that route with their 1803?
Thomas, the drivers pictured in the photos you posted look almost exactly like my 1503's, yet you mentioned that they don't look like them. What detail am I missing that differentiates them? What drivers do you think they look like? And finally, does anyone know if the Blueprint drivers are also sourced from TC Sounds, like the HE 15's and the Krells?

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
quote: How much does the MRS cost?[/quote]
About $48,000 MSRP, including the internal 2600 watt amp and equalization circuitry.
Edit: Hmmm, I just saw Thomas's figure of $28,000, but I recall the rep giving me a figure of $48,000. Even if we go with Thomas' cheap price, it is one of the most expensive subs I know of :)
[Edited last by Bob Sorel on October 31, 2001 at 04:47 PM]

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack
$28,000, according to the S&V equipment guide, go figure :)
Bob
The MRS magnets are 1/3 smaller, thinner pole piece, and different back plate. I wonder if the cone is just paper. I don't have a grills off front view.
Basically they look like a stock TC-Sounds 15"
[Edited last by ThomasW on October 31, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Ok, Bob, that's what I remember about the Krell drivers. Thanks.
quote: I would suspect that this might deliver the finest performance in a box possible from this driver. Is anyone planning on going that route with their 1803?[/quote]
You may be right. I'm seriously considering that route, although building to Klone Audio standards is well beyond me.
The frame of the MRS drivers looks the same, the magnet looks different. The frame seems ubiquitous, I think it's the "venezuelan" frame I've heard mentioned. I had assumed that the Blueprints were made by TC Sounds, and that that frame was identifiably theirs, but I'm not sure about any of that.
Edit: Here's the TC-15 Thomas mentioned, it does look the same:
Image11_small.jpg

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 31, 2001 at 03:36 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Oh my God, that's a lot of money. Markup is a wonderful thing. That info. is the most fun part of DIY. :)
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack
If you're building a AS-15 upsized for a 1803, you damn well better build to "Klone-Audio standards", if not better :) Otherwise you'll have major problems with wall flexing
FWIW, I can lift one end of the AS-15 cabinet high enough to get it on a furniture dolly. Then I have to wedge the dolly against a wall and side up the other end of the cabinet on to the dolly. An AS-18 (actually a A/BP-18) will truly be a monster, and James's design is certifably insane
wink.gif

[Edited last by ThomasW on October 31, 2001 at 03:50 PM]

Bob Sorel

Stunt Coordinator
...although building to Klone Audio standards is well beyond me.
Yes, but a job worth doing is a job worth doing well! Building an enclosure that is well designed and rock solid is one of the ways that we DIY'ers can blow away the commercial efforts (for the most part), as we don't have time, monetary (yeah, right), or weight constraints to consider. Enclosures like Klone Audio's AS 15 represent the finest in design and workmanship, and I for one will be proud to give it my all to duplicate the craftsmanship represented by their designs.
Thomas and Jack, I just checked my drivers and now I see the difference in the magnet size, just like you mentioned. If memory serves, I believe that the Krell drivers are paper coned, but I am not absolutely sure.
[Edited last by Bob Sorel on October 31, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself calling it an upsized AS-15. It'll just be a big damn box with two 6" ports. :) I had, of course, considered a 24" Sonotube sub, but didn't know how well that would work with a driver of this caliber.
From the back, the Krell cone doesn't have that "pulpy" look that the Blueprints do.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 31, 2001 at 03:49 PM]

Actually, after trying to source some drivers from Blueprint I was told that they build the 03 drivers themselves out of parts purchased from an outfit in Southern California named FRC Soundworks ( Link Removed ) FRC actually builds the 01 series for them and also builds drivers for a number of autosound companies.
-Chris

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Chris. Now that you mention it, FRC Sounds is where my online order confirmation came from.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack
I think the Blueprints have a thicker cone, considering the the mass they list for the them.
A big tube would probably be OK for a protoype, and possibly a finished sub, just be sure to put the ports on top.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of a tube for the MSR klone prototype, just have it laying down with one 1503 firing out each end.

Gomer

Auditioning
I am atually running a dual 1503 in an antipodal sonotube=)
Think of the SVS with the top mirroring the bottom..and with big ol 15's
I am currently EQing it and will go to the LT as soon as I finish soldering.
I am not getting too much of an inductance peak, but I am getting one nice room mode...might need some resonance traps.
(man, I love this new THX intro!)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
A big tube would probably be OK for a protoype, and possibly a finished sub, just be sure to put the ports on top.
That may be the way I go, at least to get the driver working. Much quicker than building a box, of course. Double layer of 1" MDF caps should do the trick. I could even go with a 10" port with the extra length available using the tube. Yes, port on top. :)
Welcome, Gomer! The first Blueprint owner in the Western hemisphere. :) What's the performance of the ported sub like? What's "antipodal"?

Gomer

Auditioning
__________________________________________________ _
Welcome, Gomer! The first Blueprint owner in the Western hemisphere. What's the performance of the ported sub like? What's "antipodal"?
__________________________________________________ ____
well thank you=)
I have actually owned the 1503 for some time. I was at the Bass list meeting at their debut. 2000watts at 14hz ..oh god!
I originally had a single 1503 in a temporary chemical drum tuned to 20hz. I was quite happy with the driver, but didn't like the muddyness. It wasn't the drivers fault. The combination of XO group delay, porting delay, and a near square room was a big mess=). I think the room was the biggest problem. I used to own sealed SV-10's....so going from a supper clean 10 to a ported 15 was a big transition. Would I consider a ported in this new room. Absolutely...if I had the room=)
...So now I own another 1503 and have my sealed LT sub. I am in a new room (moved for grad school) and i get a nice tight sound.
..antipodal....go to www.svsubwoofers.com
Their shorter sub is proportional to mine except you need to scale it to a 15". I also have a larger gap. ..Now take 2 of their subs. Cut them in half, and glue the side with the drivers back to back...ala a mirror image. That should give you an idea of what it looks like. I'll try to get a picture up (even though it still needs its sock).
[Edited last by Gomer on October 31, 2001 at 04:22 PM]
[Edited last by Gomer on October 31, 2001 at 04:22 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks