Blueprint 1503 re-coning

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ben Ch, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Ben Ch

Ben Ch Agent

Greetings,
    It seems I may have damaged my BP-1503 driver, or that it simply failed on me, as it has started making a clicking sound on medium excursion transients. However until I have it thoroughly inspected I must prepare for the worst - does anyone know if Resonant Engineering (the buildhouse that made the driver) might have any spare parts for this dicontinued driver? (such as for a complete reconing?)
    I have sent them an e-mail, but I may not be around to receive their reply until next weekend.

I've made this type of post elsewhere, but I'm thinking that the more people that see, the better.

Ben in Manitoba

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

You are on the right track with RE (one an the same with FRC Soundworks, now Desjitl Engineering as the OEM side.) Kyle at Acoustic Visions may be able to help you out as well. As a last resort you could probably get someone like John at Acoustic Elegance (Stryke Audio) to recone it for you - for a price. I've owned multiple BP subs, and so far haven't had a failure. Good luck with yours.
    JP

3. Ben Ch

Ben Ch Agent

Thanks Jim,
    I've also been in contact with Kyle about it, the '1503 I have came from him. (I got his third last BP-1503.) There is a local shop here in Manitoba with a terrific reputation that has indicated to me that if parts are actually available, that reconing it would be no big deal. Either way, Kyle is now on holidays, and I'm not in a position to run the driver anywhere due to a very hectic work schedule.

Upon looking at the voicecoil former through the vent slots below (maening the magnet side) the spider, it would appear as though the former is actually just paper... could this really be the case, as I'd have assumed that a driver such as this would certainly have an aluminum vc former?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

VC formers aren't paper, they're Kapton or other similar high temperature insulation material

5. Ben Ch

Ben Ch Agent

Thomas, that makes me feel better - I can't see it too well, but now my mind is at ease.