What's new

Blueprint 1201 DIY Sub (1 Viewer)

Rich-Gar

Auditioning
Hello everybody, I am a new member of the forum but an old reader. I have become a member because I now have the opportunity to do some DIY projects. What I have in mind is to build a pair of av-1s w/ sub and then expand to center & surrounds later. I have a strict budget which is why I need to build a good sub for a dirt cheap price.

What is have in mind is to build a sub with the following parts: Blueprint 1201 & partsexpress 120wplate amp. These are the cheapest parts I have come up w/ to get decent bass. I am pretty sure I haven't found the cheapest but this may be a good start. I do have in mind an alignment. Sbb4 vented in parallel wattage.

I think I may have found some good measurements using winisd pro, but I was wanting to ask if any kind-more-experienced-soul could run the numbers in winisd pro for me and tell me what the optimal measurements would be. If any takers - Thanks In Advance.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I think I may have found some good measurements using winisd pro, but I was wanting to ask if any kind-more-experienced-soul could run the numbers in winisd pro for me and tell me what the optimal measurements would be. If any takers - Thanks In Advance.
My cousin just ordered a couple of these drivers, so I was doodling around with WinISD and Unibox. I came up with a 6 cu ft box tuned to 16 hz with 2 ea. 3" ports about 22" long, or one 4" port 18.7" long. This is more of a EBS design, though. What box size are you interested in?

I was really surprised at how easily this driver over-excursions at low frequencies, since it has an Xmax of 16mm. The smaller PE amp looks like a good choice to prevent overexcursion, but still get plenty of volume.

Peter

Rich-Gar

Auditioning
Hey thanks peter,

just curious, at audioliquidators, specs show the xmax of 32mm-pp for the bluprint 1201. Is this the xmax to design around? Would it be best to wire the speaker in series or in parallel?

I was interested in a smallish box of around 95L but will not be closed minded to building an EBS design.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I was interested in a smallish box of around 95L but will not be closed minded to building an EBS design.
I like the tightness and deep reach of the EBS design, but then I prefer sealed subs to vented. An SBB4 has more mid-bass (30-60 hz) punch, which some folks think make movies more exciting. The great thing about DIY is you get to pick, and you can change your mind later if you want to try something different.

Peter

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I have found my Blueprint 1001 to be an excellent performer. It goes down low with great authority even with the PE 120W plate amp. One note, though, the PE amp will put out 150 watts into 4 ohms, so you are really getting a 150-watt subwoofer. And if you like it loud, I have managed to get the 150w plate amp to clip at high volumes. You may decide to get a 250w model. With 150 watts, these drivers really put out. With 250 watts, I'm sure you will have impressive force on your hands. The 01-series drivers also had nice, low Fs across the line. My 10" which was part of the first generation of 1001s had a Fs of 19 Hz. Unfortunately, the company is no longer around, so when the Audio Liquidators stock runs out, that's it for BPD.

Rich-Gar

Auditioning
thanks for all the info people! I just have to figure out how to use the Winisd pro better. The Shiva driver is in the running as well and I have to learn LSPcad better.

The number to put in for the amp power for both programs always confused me. All this 4 ohm/8 ohm load stuff is crazy. anyway thanks again

Rich-Gar

Auditioning
Finally got all of the programs figured out.

One thing left. I just ordered a bdp1201 but haven't received it yet.

So I was wondering if anyone has any idea how many
liters the driver displaces displaces? Thanks for any info.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Rich-Gar,
Let us know when you receive it. I've got a used Shiva coming, but might pick up a 1201 just to test it out in the sonosub I'm making.

Frank

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Rich-Gar,

If you're asking how much space the woofer will take up inside the enclosure then I'd just use the number given for the Shiva - 3L. If you're asking about its ability to displace air, its around 1.5 - 1.6L with peak-to-peak excursion.

Rich-Gar

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies!

As for the liters displacement question, I was referring to how much space it takes up in the box itself.

And good idea about using the shiva measurements - I actually was thinking about using the 3L measurement but I was just being very anal about trying to be almost perfect for this is my first DIY project:) Anyways, the guy @ Audioliquidators only has a few of blueprint drivers left so I had to get one in a hurry on the cheap.

Final design decision: Sealed Sub w/ a Q of about 0.707 using the partsexpress 120wamp @ 4ohms and using .75/ft^3 of polyfill and some bracing.

Would of gone with a Shiva but want to try the Blueprint first. Hopefully if all goes well I'll be warmed up for some AV-1s.

Rich-Gar

Auditioning
Quick question - Would it be possible to use 2 of my 5 channels of amplification to power a sub?

For instance, all I have is the front three speakers hooked up to my receiver, but I was curious if I could use the power that would normally be used for rear speakers to power a subwoofer.

Hopefully somebody understands my question. I am just curious if this is possible before I purchase a plate amp. TIA for any info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.