What's new

Blue Velvet Special Edition Details (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Great news! :)
I only just started reading the interview, but these are the same cats who did the upcoming "The Last Waltz" DVD for MGM that Ron just reviewed. Wow. Two of my most anticipated DVDs, and both look fantastic!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Still reading!

The documentary sounds great, and the "Deleted Scenes" features sorta sounds like the "Bezhin Meadow" reconstruction, where stills were used to "recreate" the film (see Criterion's Eisenstein Boxset).

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
June 4th sees Blue Velvet and UHF released as SE DVDs. Two opposite ends of the film spectrum (and my personality) and I couldn't be happier than to own both of them.

Thanks for the link. Great interview.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
It's too bad they couldn't locate the actual deleted scenes and even more a shame that those scenes may never be found. That was the selling point for me. I'm going to cancel my preorder for the special edition and will just stick with my current DVD edition of Blue Velvet. Great interview, thanks for letting us know about it.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
From what I've heard, Lynch has done a brand new transfer of sound and video.

That alone got my sale.

Plus, unlike New Line, who actually had access to the Deleted Scenes, the ones for Blue Velvet just don't exist.

Too bad they couldn't find them though...

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Having the choice of a disc with a 2.0 stereo track and an average anamorphic transfer with chapter stops...
...or superior Director color timed/approved anamorphic transfer with a new Director approved 5.1 sound remix...
I can do without the Chapter stops.
;)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I guess I'm one of the few who feels the transfer on the current Blue Velvet DVD is already fantatstic. I don't see how it could be improved much. As for the sound, I don't need that either since the original theatrical release wasn't 5.1. I'm glad there's a special edition coming out for those who want it but the basic edition is quite good IMO.

Tom B. Stones

Stunt Coordinator
:):):)
You should see the DVDs of "BV" which have been released in Region 2 UK to date. Well, actually, you shouldn't.Nobody should...
Can't wait for this one...
:):):):):):):):):):):):)!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
I love all things Lynch, and can't wait to get this; however:

Jeffrey Schwarz: Aside from the Mysteries of Love documentary, there is a Deleted Scenes Featurette, some promotional material, a photo gallery of behind the scenes stuff and portraits. There is a gallery of photos that Peter Braatz took on the set, and there are a few Easter eggs thrown in there too, which I’ll let you find.
Mr. Schwarz, if I wanted to play video games, I'd be buying video games. Easter eggs are for children; Blue Velvet is not.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
i want the documentary. for the extra few bucks, i think its worth it. at least dorothy valens won't be blurred. :) and even a glimpse of the deleted scenes will be interesting.
but i agree, the existing transfer is excellent.
"Heineken? PABST BLUE RIBBON!!"

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
That is an excellent interview and I can hardly wait for the Blue Velvet: SE DVD! It will be especially nice to hear some comments by David Lynch himself since he rarely shows up on DVD documentaries.

Gregory

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
I was very surprised to read that the deleted scenes can't be found. I read a story on Steve Tannehil's website by a guy named "DVD Savant" about his encounter with an uncut version of Blue Velvet on 35mm. I don't remember everything he said (naturally, this was years ago), but I do recall his mentioning a bar or pooltable scene, in addition to at least one other deleted scene. I doubt that the deleted scenes are lost forever. I would buy the disc for the new audio and video transfer, but the addition of 70 minutes worth of documentary footage clinches the deal. Plus, it's under $20 as a pre-order.

Lawrence Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link, Jon. This was originally published several years ago. I got the pictures of these scenes confused with the presence of them. I'm still optimistic that the "deleted" scenes will probably show up in the future.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link. I've been waiting on this title since I heard it was due for a SE. I wanted to break down and buy the current edition, but I figured it would be worth waiting for.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks