What's new

Blue Velvet SE - Worth a re-purchase? (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan of this film, but I already own the anamorphic widescreen bare bones DVD that was released in 2000. The special features on the 2002 disc (a couple of docus, Siskel and Ebert review, deleted scenes) don't sound too terribly "special," although I'd be interested in checking them out.

The real question is, does the 2002 special edition represent a substantive improvement in picture/sound?

--Jefferson Morris

P.S. Also, does the recent SE acquiesce to Lynch's (silly) request not to include chapter stops?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
This DVD is wonderful--the extras aren't mere fluff, but give some real insight into both the film and the mind of David Lynch (since Lynch doesn't do commentaries, this is likely to be the definitive release of the film on DVD). Picture quality is superb. If you love Lynch or the film or both, double-dip with confidence.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/ronsreviews/velvet.html

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The video transfer of the special edition was also supervised by David Lynch, whereas the first bare-bones release was not. Also, it's been remixed in 5.1 (at Lynch's home mixing studio, no less), and as noted above, the documentary is really quite good.

I don't agree with that linked review, BTW- the "problems" the reviewer comments on are stylistic choices made by Lynch. BLUE VELVET has ALWAYS had a highly-stylised color scheme and was shot to look "soft", and Lynch loves his darkness. As for "visible grain"- FILM HAS GRAIN, get used to it! Grain itself is NOT a defect!

As for the 5.1 sound, the reviewer needs to check his hearing, because there most definitely is use made of the surround channels. It's not super AGGRESSIVE, but the surrounds are nicely used to add subtle ambiance.

Vincent

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Thanks, fellas. That's all I needed to hear - it's now on the Christmas list (and what better, more heart-warming film to ring in the yuletide with:D )

--Jefferson Morris

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
For a "big fan", it's definitely worth it. The one-hour-plus "Mysteries of Love" documentary is fantastic, and it alone makes this new package worthwhile.

The video transfer is improved, I guess (my monitor is small and less than state-of-the-art, so I hesitate to say much about this aspect), but it was the audio that grabbed me most when I first experienced the new disc. Considering the bizarro nature of Lynch's films, most folks don't credit him for the subtlety of his direction and this extends very notably to the audio design. I think Lynch is one of the best at creating an atmosphere largely defined by the subtle manipulation of sound, and this goes all the way back to "Eraserhead".

Anyway, the first "Blue Velvet" DVD release doesn't really sound like Lynch to me (though it may well have been the actual soundtrack) so much as it sounds like every other movie soundtrack from the period. It's 2.0 surround, with a smeary front soundstage, occasionally hard-to-discern dialog, and a rear soundfield that sounded processy and overly distracting... that typical pro-logic sound that I now associate mostly with television programming. It's nothing at all like what you hear on the Eraserhead or Elephant Man DVDs (the Artisan Twin Peaks set sounds great, but differs rather radically in design from these early films). The new DVD fixes all this. Subtle directional cues are now much more discretely placed, dialog is easier to understand, and the rear soundfield doesn't "woosh" and distract you. It's now a coherent and organic whole... and terribly creepy!

But it's the "Mysteries Of Love" documentary that I think will impress you most. It's the best Lynch documentary I've seen, better than the stuff on the Twin Peaks set, far far better than the rambling soliloquey on Eraserhead, and more "hardcore Lynch fan attuned" than the one on Elephant Man. And the "deleted scenes montage" will either quench your thirst for a peek at the stuff we've all heard about but never saw, or make you swear and spit on the ground that this stuff was allowed to be lost in the first place.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
YES! You will be able to see the Chicken walk in crystal clear video! (and figure out how it came to be!) My friend owns it and that’s the only thing preventing me from purchasing it instantly.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
The documentary alone is worth the re-purchase. I really hope MGM gets the same people to do the Wild at Heart disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks