What's new

Blue Underground release Fulci's 'Zombie' (1 Viewer)

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought that people might want to know that Blue Underground's website is reporting that they plan to release Lucio Fulci's classic 'Zombie'.

I guess this means that the Media Blasters version is cancelled.

They also plan to release Michael Armstrong's 'Mark of the Devil', hopefully with the commentary track from the R2 release...

Anyway, good news for horror fans everywhere.

Any thoughts on what might be the extras on 'Zombie'?

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't heard of this. Awesome... now I can ebay the non-anamorphic, crappy Anchor Bay version.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Over at Mobius Home Video Forum, John Sirabella from Media Blasters posted the following:

"I spoke with Bill [Lustig of Blue Underground] last week , had lunch, and we will be releasing the zombie disc at the same time as them. Bill is cool...all has been settled.

We come out with Special Edition and they come out with regular version, two discs versus one disc. It will be very cool for everyone and we are coordinating the masters being used for the discs so people can expect similar quality."

DJ

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This does not appear to make much marketplace sense. I'd think that the release with extras would sell a lot more unless the bare release is extremely cheap in price. :frowning:

StephenA

Screenwriter
It would also depend on how much of each is released and how much of a market saturation each has with how much they sell.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I'll be more inclined to get the Media Blasters version because it sounds like it'll have better extras.

But I'll be needing some questions answered before I settle on a particular version: Will both versions of the movie be the complete, uncut version? (I've heard that the AB version currently available is edited.) Will either include the commentary that's on the AB version? Who'll have the better print/transfer?

(I'll probably hang onto my AB disc just because I love that cover so much. WE ARE GOING TO EAT YOU!)

One reason I think we might be getting two releases is because Media Blasters seems to have the European title of "Zombi 2." I don't know what the BU version will be called, but presumably it'll be the US "Zombie" title. This is what leads me to wonder whether or not both versions will be same -- like did MB get rights to the European cut, whereas BU would only have the American cut?

So many questions...

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
This whole Media Blasters VS. Blue Underground sounds very fishy to me...

I find it hard to believe that two companies will release the same thing at the same time, especially using the same print.

Before Damin's post, last I'd heard was that Lustig owned the US distribution rights to the film. Oh well, I'm sure we'll soon find out.

Given the track record of both companies though, don't hold your breath for the Media Blasters version! I have a feeling that BU will want this to be a flagship title and so will pull out all the stops on this one.

The boat can leave now, tell the crew.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Given Media Blasters' dubious track record on Eurohorror, the barebones Blue Underground release is the odds-on favorite to be the better one--a question that immediately comes to mind, if they're sharing masters, does that mean that it will be the same compression? Will MB find some way to make the film go back to the menu half an hour in (cf. their release of Faceless). Stay tuned...the review process should be interesting. :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've never seen this, so I'm eager to check out whichever one will be the best in quality.

Am I wrongin thinking that this was an unofficial sequel to "Dawn Of The Dead"? Wasn't Anchor Bay supposed to be including this in the DOTD mega set?

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

Yes it is. In some countries Argento's cut of Dawn is called Zombie (which may be in Anchor Bay's set) and this film is called Zombie 2. In countries where Dawn of the Dead is Dawn of the Dead this film is called Zombie.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

It does happen from time to time. Criterion's Brazil is from the same transfer as Universal's. Criterion's Dead Ringers is from the same transfer as Anchor Bay's.

Jeff

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I appreciate the clarification, as I have wondered about this for a while now. Damn, they probably couldn't make that more confusing if they tried.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Just got a chance to see this on the big screen during the Florida Film Festival, let's just say it was quite different seeing it with an audience in all it's 2.35:1 glory. I may pick up the DVD depending on the extras.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Later posted by John Sirabella:

I think John is absolutely right about some people thinking in terms of fans only. There are a lot of casual buyers who would balk at only having the two-disc option. They would be more willing to go for the cheaper single version especially if they'e not familiar with the title. Both companies are in a win/win situation.

Lustig talked about the Zombie DVD debacle at the Fango Con. in January. Apparently the original Italian licensor decided that Bill's original video rights for the film were no longer valid. They than licensed the title to Media Blasters. Both companies have thankfully come up with the best solution. With the new license Media Blasters gained access to the newly remastered uncut film, which BU didn't have. So the Underground certainly has gained more from this deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks