Blue Underground announces release plans through May 2004

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Drew Reiber, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Fangoria did an article on their upcoming release plans through May 2004:

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=1847

The new releases include:

April 27

David Cronenberg's "Fast Company", in one and two disc sets. Presumably the two disc will be a limited edition, which contains his short features Stereo and Crimes of the Future.

May 25

Bob Clark's "Deathdream"
    Bill Lustig's (and BU DVD producer) "Uncle Sam"

I'm really excited to see Cronenberg's early work collected for the first time. They're really difficult to come by. I'm also thrilled over the Deathdream info, I've been looking for this film for over 5 years now. I love how much attention these guys give to their releases (still sad Lustig left AB) and I really look forward to what else they have planned for the year.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Wow. These will be a stark, stark contrast to Fast Company. It'll be great to have nice transfers of them, though. Crimes of the Future was previously available on Criterion's Dead Ringers LD, but Stereo hasn't had an official US video release of which I'm aware (although I've been lucky enough to see it exhibited on film).

DJ

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I'm with Damin on that. I'm a Cronenberg completist, but man, Stereo (which I've seen a bootleg tape of) and Crimes of the Future are rigorous and exacting shorts. Looking forward to seeing a clean copy of Fast Company for once. I think the only thing left now is a WB release for M. Butterfly (and an OAR version of Rabid).

I watched Deathdream for work about 6 months ago and I was very impressed-- very creepy and disturbing (though not as disturbing as Bob Clark's "Baby Geniuses"!)

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

The presenter at the screening of Stereo that I saw called them both "death by minimalism." [​IMG]

DJ

5. Zak Hepburn

Zak Hepburn Stunt Coordinator

This Company just gets better and better.
    If only BU could get thier hands on "Shivers".
    Can't wait for this release[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Matt Rexer

Matt Rexer Stunt Coordinator

Blue Underground frickin' rocks. Now I can call off my hunt for a tape of Stereo (I'm also a Cronenberg completist).

Now, when's BU gonna release Transfer and From the Drain? [​IMG] Actually, the Cahiers du Cinema website hosted a really bad Quicktime of FtD a while back, but it's gone now...

7. Drew Reiber

I would battle hordes of demons for a Blue Underground box set of Alejandro Jodorowsky's work (El Topo, Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre, Tusk, Rainbow Theif, etc). I used to be anxious for AB to do something, but the few supplements BU seems to scrounge together for lesser known releases are more impressive than the average AB ones.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Didn't Lustig once claim he had secured the rights to El Topo for Anchor Bay only for that to fall through due to Klein? I hope that the plans for Four Flies on Grey Velvet (still not officially announced) don't go the same way....fingers nervously crossed.

9. Jeff McMillan

Jeff McMillan Stunt Coordinator

Drew, I'm pretty impressed by the list of stuff that AB-UK has for the Santa Sangre release, due in a few weeks. It's a shame it's only R2 for now, but I can live it, since this will be only the 2nd (official) Jodorowsky DVD, and the only one in print.

10. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Cronenberg is the best director there is if you ask me, so this news is music to my ears. If only BU could get the rights to Shivers and Rabid to give them the treatment they deserve. I also love Deathdream, so it finally getting released is just lovely. BU never disappoints.

11. Drew Reiber

Doesn't do me any good. All we have here in the States is Fando Y Lis. I don't have multi-region coded players or anything like that, nor do I plan to find them just for a few DVDs. So I'm stuck with everyone else who is waiting for some Region 1 attention.