What's new

"Blue Train" on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I was just curious if anyone had any comments on Coltrane's "Blue Train" on DVD-A, I always liked his music, but never bought any CD's or records or such, and thought DVD-A might be a good way to get into the experience. Seems that there's only 5 tracks on this, anyone know the length on this? Seems a bit short for the $25 price sticker.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Are you sure it's on DVD-A? You're probably thinking of the DAD release, which has gotten superb reviews.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
The DAD is great. The music is great as is the sound. I think it is better than the SACD as do many others. Now you can get in HDAD (24/192) for about $20.00. I am thinking about getting it and the Cannonball Adderly disks and givng the DAD's to someone in the family.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Matt, those listings are incorrect. That's the forthcoming HDAD version, not DVD-A.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
so will there be a DVD-A anytime in the future? or can DVD-A players play HDAD? Sorry for the ignorance, I've never really heard much about H/DAD

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

HDAD is Classic Records' marketing term for a DVD-Audio disc.

It contains one side with 24/96K material compatible with DVD-Video and DVD-Audio players, and one side with 24/192K material for DVD-Audio players only.

The DAD is just the 24/96K side.

Cheers,

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Interesting, seems Blue Train comes to HDAD December 30th, I will have to check it out. I'm finally getting around to re-doing the speakers and receiver of my system, can't wait to hear some hi-res jazz once this thing is all setup :emoji_thumbsup: Are there any other jazz workings you guys recommend for DVD-A/HDAD?

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I picked up the Buena Vista Social Club DVD-A today to accompany me on a 5 hour drive, the music is great, but anyone else think the vocals are a bit lacking without a center channel? What would be the reasoning for a 4.1 mix? Also blindly picked up Mingus Ah Um from Charles Mingus to help start getting into jazz, gonna check out the Coltrane HDAD in a few weeks, but anyone have any other suggestions for people to check out?

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
It seems the only place I can find the Blue Train HDAD is on acousticsounds.com for $20, does anyone know if any other store is carrying this title? Has anyone picked it up yet?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
No, but I think I'm going to along with "Somethin' Else" and "Folk Singer." They're only $20 a pop, so I'll just give my others away unless somebody wants to buy 'em here or off eBay. The DADs sounds great, so I can't even imagine how the HDADs sound. Plus, the material is so damn good!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
My new receiver w/hi-res inputs is finally on its way so I think I'll just have to go for the purchase on this so I have something classy to listen to once it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks