International Blue Thunder the series coming to Blu-ray

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Elephant Films is releasing the short lived ABC series on Blu later this year. Not a very good series overall, but as a fan of the helicopter this is a day one purchase for me. EF releases quite a bit of US programming, hopefully they continue.

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Wow. I was surpised when it was released on DVD. And yeah, it's not very good - a nostalgic favorite more than anything else - like Automan, Manimal or The Master. And comared to the film it's based on, it's just godawful. BUt if you want "T.J. Hooker in a Super Chopper" then you're gonna enjoy it.

Now if they would just release the James Naughton's "Trauma Center" I'd be happy.

Reactions: Scott511

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The first casting reports for the Blue Thunder TV series had Gil Gerard down as the lead, I wonder if he smelled the "stink" on the show and backed out?

Dana Carvey said in a TV Guide interview years later that this was the only thing he was ever fired from, which explains why JAFO isn't in the final episode.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
A lot of talented people were involved behind the scenes of Blue Thunder. The one that stands out to me was Roy Huggins. I guess it's just a flawed premise to begin with. The point made in the original film was that it was over the line for civilian authorities. Hard to justify that much fire power from the police on a weekly show.

Reactions: bmasters9

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
A lot of talented people were involved behind the scenes of Blue Thunder. The one that stands out to me was Roy Huggins. I guess it's just a flawed premise to begin with. The point made in the original film was that it was over the line for civilian authorities. Hard to justify that much fire power from the police on a weekly show.
Or for Columbia (CPT at the time being "A Unit of the Coca-Cola Company") to be involved with such a show (IMO).

Last edited:

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Could have been a lot of network hands in the mix which created a meh show. I wonder why Carvey was fired?

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Could have been a lot of network hands in the mix which created a meh show. I wonder why Carvey was fired?
I didn’t even know he was in this show. It figures; his last show before this, the short-lived Mickey Rooney sitcom One of the Boys, was also from CPT right before Coke bought it. They must still have had him under contract.

Interesting that they put him in a dramatic/action show. If it had been a better show and ran longer, what would have become of SNL?

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Yep, you are correct about the people. I recognize many names on the production side of things, including Huggins. I think he left right before the last episode, or last couple of episodes. Not sure what kind of budget they were working with, but the production value looks like it's on the cheaper side of things. Although they sure loved to spend the $ to line the outside of the chopper with squibs depicting bullet hits as the helicopter was in flight. That was something rarely done on Airwolf, except I think for one in flight shot used over and over, and a couple of close up inserts. I don't mind the fire power for the police, even when going against run of the mill drug runners etc. but I never liked how it always seemed like Carvey's funny bits were shoehorned into a script just so he could make a joke, or imitate someone. I also remember reading an interview with either Dan O'bannon or Don Jakoby, that ABC was horrible to deal with about they would allow/not allow in an episode. In my opinion the best episode was probably The Island, it was the last episode aired and the one without Carvey.

Still, it's part of the hi tech 80s run of TV series, no matter how good or bad it is in various areas I will be happy to plunk down the scratch to own this one in HD.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Was the TV version of Starman with Robert Hays replacing Jeff Bridges any better? I actually have vague memories of that show catching it at a sleepover at a friends' house. I was only 3 at the time.

I also remember reading an interview with either Dan O'bannon or Don Jakoby, that ABC was horrible to deal with about they would allow/not allow in an episode
That explains why on the whole I found NBC and CBS to have better sitcoms, at least during this era. Fewer suits giving network notes. That also explains why arguably most of the best writing talent left for cable (and for streaming as soon as the latter existed).

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Was the TV version of Starman with Robert Hays replacing Jeff Bridges any better? I actually have vague memories of that show catching it at a sleepover at a friends' house. I was only 3 at the time.
Starman was a really nice show, a very good balance of the whole "The Fugitive" premise with gentle "father/son" lessons and some adventure. I liked the series a lot.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe that will come out next although you can't always say that good sales of X will lead to the release of Y because X and Y have Z in common.

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This international Blu of Blue Thunder-- will it be a 2-disc Blu (being that there were only 11 episodes of Blue Thunder made for ABC)?

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawleralter