What's new

Blue-Ray vs. HD-DVD - Sales Numbers? (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But you'd have to guess, is the thing. A studio looks at 42k Xbox HD-DVD drives, and they know that's 42k likely customers. The 197k PS3 represents a lot of potential customers, but could only be 20k likely ones.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

No, and I'm not trying to make a point about which statistic is "better". I was simply including both sides of the story based on the facts of the report.

My opinion, with relation to the HD-DVD add-on, is that the numbers are lower than my expectations. Based on discussions here, and elsewhere, I expected closer to 75K-100K units to sell. And my opinion on the PS3 numbers should also not be viewed as favorable. Shipping less than half of the initially promised numbers is not good, but it is inline with my expectations.

I think if anything this proves that gamers ARE interested in HD media. Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This might be true when supplies become readily available, but I think you will find most current purchasers gamers, not HD enthusiasts. They are the ones that are willing to stand in line for days for a possible purchase.

Before some begin posting that they purchased it for Movies and not games, understand, you are still the eexception, not the rule for the current sales.

Sometime in the first quarter, when Sony finally gets a handle on production, and assumming that there is not a comparibly proced stand alone on the market, this should change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks