What's new

blue-ray players in EUROPE? (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I am sorry if such info was posted, please show me thread and remove this thread...

When we can expect first blue-ray players in europe, and wich brand ? pioner ? samsung ? sony ? and exact dates when we will be able to order ?

thank you in advance,
Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Marek,

Welcome to the forum!

About your question: we don't have the slightest idea. I guess they haven't even decided yet.

Of course Sony et al. want to know first if it will succeed in the US at all. The HD DVD launch seems a success at the moment, but the Blu-ray format still has to prove something.

After the holiday season, they probably decide about the next steps on the market.

Cees

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
The first week of September is IFA in Berlin, where some announcement are expected for HDDVD and Blu-ray in Europe. Some Titles (HDDVD by Studio Canal and Blu-ray by Columbia France) have already been announced for autumn.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
After Christmas I think more and more Blu-Ray players will start to show up in Europe. So you don't have long to wait before you have several models to choose from. :)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Well I hope it will be sooner ;)
I read somewhere, I am sorry I don't have a link, that player will start to show up from september.... hmm

The lack of information is killing me ;)

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

THANX ;)
I was just reading several weeks ;) too lazy to write something........
We I have to wait ;) but it's interesting that I can buy several BR PC burners immediately hmm

Marek

Pall F

Auditioning
Any chance we will see multi-region players in a few years? Here´s hoping.

Also one noob question. Will US Blu-ray players or HD-DVD players work on a European HD television? I´m thinking about importing a player

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In 1997 my imported Toshiba played fine on my TV set.

I'm about to import a HD-A1 myself (the Samsung seems a bit too pricy for that at the moment, and there are other considerations), so I expect it to play fine too.

If your TV has HDMI, it should work and I'm also contemplating using a big PC monitor with DVI, for a transitional period.

Personally, I'm confident enough to go ahead, but I can only tell you for certain after the machine arrived here.

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I think it should work,... I can ask friend, he did some test with toshiba and samsung on projector........ so I will ask him if he tested also on some HD TV.... but I think he had european version of samsung to test... I remember he was not able to play US blue ray disk with movies due regions.... hmm

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Where are you going to order ? and how much is shipping ?
Thanx for info..
Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Shipping costs are terrible. If you want any "safe" method (and not wait too long) it's between $210 and $270 for a package like that (and they say that includes the customs and VAT, but I doubt it). That's why I think importing a $1000 item isn't feasible at the moment - or wise.

There aren't many e-tailers ready to ship equipment like that to Europe, so I have a problem there. Currently, I'm talking to TVA (advertiser on this forum), who are not in the habit of shipping overseas either.

Here are two sites I found as well, but it's still very uncertain if they will ship outside the US continent:
Bright&Sleek
PC Connection.

If I know more, I will post about it (BTW, most retailers don't have the player in stock at the moment, but a new batch seems to be around the corner).

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I was just trying now from Amazon, and they are not shipping here :frowning:
thanx for links will check them.......

I wonder when we will se EU players....... hopefully soon enough, so we don't have to find the way how to get them from US hmm

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

Yet, I guess it will be at least almost a year from now. But I bet the initial price will be > €500 as well - and the $ rate isn't too bad at the moment. That's the good news.

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Hmm, I think it will be sooner, I know I read it somewhere that europe will start THIS september, if anyone know any official news, please share.......
If my friend tested european model od Samsung.... I am sure it will be this year hopefully :)

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

Europe will certainly not start before the US, so a Blu-ray player this September is out of the question. HD DVD could be, but I doubt it.

Cees

Manus

Second Unit
Cees,
Check out ebay for players.Its not ideal but there are 1 or 2 shipping units from the uk to europe on there .

May the force be with you ;)

~M~

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes Cees, it could be exactly as you said...., but the true is that player wich my friend tested was european version of Samsung blue-ray player...

I will do my best to find out more info... so there is still a HOPE ;)

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

In an (rather critical) article in the local monthly Consumer's Magazine about the format, Toshiba was quoted saying a European HD-A1 will be out at the end of this year.
Unfortunately it's a written article, so I cannot link to it (and it's in Dutch :) ).

Price quoted was "around €700". I don't know what that would mean street-price wise.

Nothing about a BR-player, though.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks