What's new

Blue ray issues (1 Viewer)

futsal1st

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I have a theatre that was working fine. I have a Yamaha RX-V1700 amp, foxtel, home theatre pc and a Epson projector EMP-TW700. I used to have composite cables and the world was good.
My son convinced me to upgrade to HDMI cables for HD movies. It all works well when on fox or pc. I have to use a Digitech HDMI switcher & audio splitter because the amp didn't have enough HDMI sockets. Still all was good.
Enter a new Samsung blue ray player (BD-P1500). When I switch to the DVD player the screen is blank with the words "no signal" and "HDMI". This turns on and off but no picture. Everything else works fine but the no signal message just keeps flashing on and off on the screen and the screen is blank. If you turn off the blue ray and turn it back on, you get a Samung picture but then it goes blank and then the no signal message, then blank, etc.
I tried changing the DVD player with a ps3. Same thing occurs.
If I plug the HDMI cable from the projector directly into the DVD payer, same thing happens.
This is killing me. Any help appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI handshake.
Let me guess, you didn't follow handshake procedure...
When you unhook a device to remove it from your system...
1. Turn your display off
2. Turn the source off
3. Turn the AVR off
Unplug AVR from the wall for 5-10 minutes. While unplugged, remove the device you are replacing. Put in the device you are adding. Plug the AVR back in. (it says you have to do this in the OM, but...it doesn't tell you why...now you know why)
1. Turn on the AVR
2. Turn on the source
3. Turn on the display
And yes, the AVR should be last thing turned off...first thing turned on.

futsal1st

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Ok, so I've used the correct term, handshake.
Please check me if I'm right. You think it may be an Avr problem (I assume this is the Yamaha amp). The Yamaha amp only does sound. The HDMI splitter has an optical cable to the amp. I don't run the HDMI through it. The HDMI comes from each device (fox, DVD and computer) goes to the splitter then to the projector. The splitter feeds the amp for sound.
With that, do I Judy turn all off at the power points and turn them one again after 15 mins. Do I need to turn them back on in any particular order?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have no idea why your aren't running your audio/video through the AVR...since that is how everybody else would be doing it.
Your BD player (guessing here) decodes lossless audio, which your AVR could playback as PCM. Why you aren't doing that, I haven't a clue.
As far as this HDMI splitter. You probably need to unplug the projector for a while and let it "forget" the prior DVD player.
Basically, handshake is...
"Hi, I'm a Samsung BD player"
Your projector is replying...
"You're not a DVD player. I don't like you."

futsal1st

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks I'll unplug teh projector and leave it for a while
As far as the AVR goes, it is a Yamaha and doesn't have enough HDMI ports.
Might have to upgrade the AVR and projector :(

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hey Paul, welcome to Home Theater Forum. Hope you get you issue worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks