What's new

Blue Note to Issue Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This ought to make Mike Broadman's day :)...
From Tom Everett with Blue Note:
We will announce five soon-to-come SACD titles shortly. At this point the only classic BN recording
scheduled is Blue Train. If things work out, more will come ASAP. The only other guaranteed title is Bob
Belden's Black Dahlia which was recorded at Sony Studios in 24 bit and mixed in 5.1 by Bob. Please don't
flood the board with suggested CDs...
This is one of the best all-time classical jazz labels. This is very big news indeed and indicates additional momentum for the format.
:)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
This ought to make Mike Broadman's day
Nah, what would I care about Blue Note, arguably the best record label of all time...
Oh, who am I kidding?
:D :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D
Blue Train is already out on DAD, which is a great disc. While I'd definitely pick up the SACD, I would prefer more variety of titles across the different formats.
A quick primer for those who don't know or care: Blue Note was the premier record label for post-bop jazz. Alfred Lion, who ran it, insisted upon hard-hitting swing, which meshed perfectly with the school of hard-bop soul jazz practiced by the Art Blakey School of Swing. Rudy Van Gelder, probably the greatest jazz recording engineer, had his hand in practically every recording.
Artists such as Grant Green and Herbie Hancock recorded their best material on Blue Note, and most jazz fans would make the case that their artistic output declined in quality after leaving.
Practically every important jazz artist recorded for Blue Note. Alfred Lion was very picky, and would discard material he felt was inferior at the drop of a hat. For example, Grant Green's first recordings were shelved until Lion felt Green did better. Those recordings are available and they sound wonderful- yet they didn't pass the bill! This means that pretty much any CD you get on Blue Note is great. I have not heard a bad one yet.
Blue Note has done a good job with their remastered CD series.
Some albums that I would love to see on SACD:
Miles Davis- Birth of the Cool
Grant Green- Idle Moments (or any of them, really)
Herbie Hancock- My Point of View, Empyrean Isles
Cannonball Adderley- Somethin' Else (though it's already out on DAD)
Art Blakey- Moanin'
Sonny Rollins- Volume 1 & 2
Clifford Brown- anything
Hank Mobley- Soul Station
Dexter Gordon- Go!
Johny Griffin- A Blowin' Sesson

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Some albums that I would love to see on SACD
Mike,

An idea...Post these over on the SACD Blue Note bulletin board. I think Tom Everett is collecting album names for the first batch. Hank Mobley Soul Station would be awesome. I also love Somethin' Else, one of my all-time favorites.

Also, can you imagine the Norah Jones debut album on Super Audio!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lee,
Please don't lood the board with suggested CDs...
Has he changed this policy?
Anyway, you can post them if you'd like. You can take the credit, I won't mind. :)
I'm not familiar with Norah Jones, so I don't know if I should be excited by that release. My jazz knowledge and appreciation hits a brick wall when it comes to vocalists, though I started to mend that situation with my first Sarah Vaughan purchase today.
I hope that any Blue Note SACDs will be hybrids, too.
NP: Radiohead, Pablo Honey, CD

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I'll second the Norah Jones recommendation. A SACD of that would be nice.

Most of the time when I get into something new (for me) like Keb Mo's 'The Door' I start picking up all of his previous work. With a new artist like Norah Jones, we'll have to wait for more material, but she is well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks