What's new

BLUE MAN in Kansas City. (1 Viewer)

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
We saw Blue Man Group on Saturday night. That was a great show! The Complex Tour took place at KC's StarLight Theater outdoors. It had rained ALL day but by 4pm the rain stopped ...the sun came out..and all was a perfect setting for the show. Tracy Bonham opened the show with a short set. Classically trained in Violin, she ripped a rendention of Led Zepplin's Cashmere that woke the restless crowd!

Next up was Venus Hum. They kicked up show with some hyper charged Synth rythmns and electronic drum beats. The angelic vocals reminded me of Bjork meets the Chemical Brothers! Superb. Had a chance to meet them after the show. She is so sweet and cute!

Blue Man hit the stage at 9pm. But kept the waitng audience busy with interactive scrolling L.E.D. message boards prior to the stage show. This had the audience laughing and screaming with one another.

With the lights down the familar PVC drumming began! The audience cheered. The silouttes of three Blue Man played against the house sized white sheet. As the drumming escalated...the guitars and synths kicked in...then the curtain dropped. From then on it was a roller coaster of music and wild typical Blue Man antics. Guest vocalist from Venus Hum, Tracy Bonham and the Blue Man keyboardist delivered titles from the new Complex album.

With snippets from Led Zep, The Who, Devo and a full length psycadelic trip with Jefferson Airplanes' White Rabbit...Blue Man proved not only were they percussionists...but they were hard core ROCKERS!!!

If you have a chance to see this show coming to a city near you....don't dare miss it!!!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Cool.

Saw them in Albuquerque last summer.

Tracy opened with Black Dog here, and my jaw dropped. This was not a creative interpretation...it was dead nuts. Venus Hum, well lets just say they are not to my taste, but they were interesting.

And Blue Man was very, very cool. I went in expecting three guys pounding on garbage can lids, and what I got was three guys pounding on everything imaginable, PLUS a full rock band and a host of other musicians.

Sonic mayhem to be sure, but very, very cool. Highly recommended.

BGL

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I have front row tickets for their show tonite, unfortunaly I'm sicker then a dog so it's going to unlikly that I can make it. :frowning: Really sucks too becuase I've been counting on this for a month.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Darren, I was right there with you at Starlight. What a great show. I had seen them in Vegas, and was worried that a touring version would be a pale copy of that show.

NO WAY!

Their Complex tour was just as kicking as their stage show. I have to give the sound and light guys their props. To put on a show of that complexity is a feat. To make that show a touring show is unbelieveable.

I agree with the statments of Tracy Bonham. She was really great. Venus Hum, like Brian said, was good, just not my thing.

Rock Concert Movement #72. The post ending signature. Ready Go

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
At 5 years old, she's probably still limber enough to do Rock Concert Movement #4, the Behind the head leg stretch.

Seeing that Blueman do that, and then falling was hilarious!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Randy,

Next time, can you include that as spoiler material for those of us that haven't seen the show yet? :D

My tickets are for 10/21 ;)

Regards,

wally

Second Unit
What a great show! Caught the tour in St. Louis earlier this summer with Tracy Bonham opening her set with Zep’s Black Dog.

I can’t decide what part of the BMG show was best. It was all great, but “I Feel Love” (Donna Summer cover) with Venus Hum, and Baba O'Riley were truly inspired.

Venus Yum in a fiber optic dress. :emoji_thumbsup:

BMG @ the Fabulous Fox. Enjoy John!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Wally,

I will. I hope they do a better job of sound reinforcement than the Norah Jones staff did. They destroyed the sound of the acoustic bass and the drum kit :thumbsdown:

Regards,

wally

Second Unit
I don't think I'll be able to make the 21st show. Bummer.

The best part of the Riverport date was that my son and I received the tickets free :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm going to make a real effort to see the permanent show in Chicago next time I’m up North.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks