Blue haloes on subtitles in 8 1/2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Whitaker, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if this is intended or if it's my rptv. I have a Panny 47wx42 and I popped in Criterion's 8 1/2 the other day on my Panny RP82. The subtitles have a blue haloe behind the words. Is this on the DVD or is my tv causing this. The rest of the film is b&w and I calibrated with Avia and have done efocus and the two convergences in the user menu. Does anyone else have this DVD and can you tell me whether it's meant to be there or not? Also I know a lot of people have talked about the font size of subtitles on large RPTV's and I think it's kind of annoying. The fonts are too big and jagged for large rptv's. I wish studios would have an option to make the subtitles smaller for larger sets. I'll try popping in Seven Samurai tonight and see if I see the blue haloes on the subtitles. If it's not on there then I suspect it's the dvd. Thanks for any help.

2. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I played Criterions Seven Samurai last night and the blue haloes weren't there. I think it's the 8 1/2 dvd that has the blue haloes or drop shadows on the subtitles. It's kind of annoying. I guess I could just drop the color down so there is none since it's a black and white film to get rid of the blue haloes. Anyone have 8 1/2 and can substantiate that it's the disc? Thanks.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

I can check on this later today.

Sounds more like you need your convergence adjusted though.

4. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

Aaron,

You are not alone. My copy of 8 1/2 does the same thing.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't have this problem on my 36" monitor.

I usually turn off the color on B&W films (gives a more pure B&W to my eyes), but it's still fine without the B&W mode.