What's new

Blue Dots spreading like cancer! (1 Viewer)

scottkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Slaughter
I saw somebody else had this issue on an earlier post, but can't find it now. My 3 year old Sony DLP KDF-42WE655 has developed a growing problem. Started a couple months back with a small blue streak in the bottom left corner, that is now about an inch high and goes almost all the way across the bottom of the screen.
Then about a month ago a few mysterious blue dots, like pixels, appeared in the center, growing at the rate of about one or two each day. So now there is quite a little constellation, certainly on it's way to becoming a galaxy!
It's there regardless of input or even blank screen. I knew the lamp was getting a bit old, so I replaced it with limited hope that it was the culprit. No change.
HELP!!!!!!!!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The problem is that you're saying it's a DLP-based unit. And the best-guess case for what you're describing is not compatible with a sequential color device.

Okay. a quick check does indicate that this should be, in fact, a LCD RP unit. Your blue panel is failing, getting more and more "stuck on" pixels. As you see, these show up as bright blue spots, and there's not much that can be done about it.

Replacing the panel by itself is probably difficult; it's probably available as an entire "engine" consisting of beam-splitters, combiners, filters, polarizers, and the LCD panels themselves. Otherwise, getting it to line up in non-factory conditions would probably be virtually impossible. As you may note, this is essentially replacing the "heart" of the unit, and it may not be worth doing.

If you do go that route, or want to try and limit its spread, the most likely cause for the failure is heat. Perhaps a vent-path is blocked or obstructed; maybe a fan has failed.

There are other causes of stuck pixels, but I think heat is generally the most common cause.

Leo

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You should probably contact the factory customer service reps directly. There have been instances where light engines have had known problems and "Customer Accomodation" repairs have been done. (hidden extended warranties) The cost of a repair could easily exceed the replacement cost of the set unless there was factory help.

In theory, LCD polarizors, filters, and panels could be replaced by a competent shop, except that the manufacturers decided not to supply those parts as repair items. There is only a basic mechanical alignment needed and servicers thought that we could be making some money replacing the easily damaged parts until the manufacturers pulled the rug out from under us.

In your case, the main board could also be failing however. It just depends where the matrix driver is located.

scottkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Slaughter
Leo and Steve,
Thank you for your theories and expertise. It looks like I'm probably screwed. I did call Sony's customer service, and tech help line, and basically was given some stock Q&A and then told to have it looked at by a certified service center in my area. Whoopee. Probably charge me $75 to look at it and tell me what you just postulated, and that it would cost as much as a new set to fix.
Anyway, thanks again.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Any factory would always want an authorized shop to at least look at the set. Your brother's uncle's stepson's cousin's opinion probably won't cut it.

If a service call is too high then hauling the set to their shop would cut the cost of an estimate considerably. In my area, all of the local shops went out of business or were cut off by Sony for being too small (myself) so the closest authorized servicer is 50 miles away, making a service call run $100 + mileage ($150-$200 additional). An in shop estimate should only run in $50 range, or less. (they would pretty much just turn it on and verify the problem is somewhere in the unrepairable "Light Engine", and look up the prices)

The procedure afterwards is to complain to customer service and try to get something extra done if the servicer tells you the cost of the light engine. Generally, only customer relations has the ability to offer extended coverage. The servicer can't and warranty administration won't, leaving it to Cust Relations. Since their fiscal year starts in April, they should have the money to do whatever they need to do. Upset women seem to have better luck than men when dealing for extensions.

One of the common accomodations is to supply the part NC and you pay the labor, making the "haul the set to the shop" method even more attractive. (no extra trips, less time required = less labor)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
not sure on the LCD units...
on the LCOS units (all G1 SXRD RPTVS) Sony was extending the warranty due to failures.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I had the same problem on my 60 inch Grand Wega LCD projection set which I've had since 2004. After some research on the Internet I found that the problem was related to the OPTICAL BLOCK on the set. This is a large and very expensive component ~ $1,000, but it is covered by the original SONY warranty (I did not have the extended warranty) up to December 2008.

What you have to do is to find who is the authorized Sony repair center in your area and tell them that you're experiencing the blue screen problem on your set. In my case a technician came to my house, took a picture of the screen and of the back of the set with the serial # visible, and told me that it would take around 1-2 weeks for the part to be shipped to them from Sony. Sure enough, 10 days later they came to my house with this huge box (told you it was a large part), and removed the optical block and installed the new one in around 30 min. Apparently, this is so common that I did not even have to sign any papers, and total cost was zilch, nada.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

This repair took place 5 days ago.

Sony has a news alert listed on their website which describes this problem in detail, the sets affected, and conditions of the warranty repair.
Hope this helps.

Raul

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Sony doesn't even make a DLP HDTV....

Sony Grand WEGA KDF-42WE655 42-Inch LCD Projection Television with Integrated HDTV Tuner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks