What's new

Blue Crush DVD when? / Review (1 Viewer)

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
OK, yes its got problems.. But it's based on a magazine article for crying out loud?!

My girlfriend is a Hawaii nut and I’m a hot chick nut so we decided to give this one a try. Can you say: Win / Win?

Story: Well, it's a tad shallow but here goes: local girl raises little sister after Mom bails for Vegas and together with her two roommates, surf the waves of Hawaii's North Shore.
Local girl meets NFL quarterback and get this: he’s actually a nice guy! Things would be dandy except she is 7 days away from competing in a Woman’s Invitational. Mayhem ensues. There’s more, but I won’t ruin what little left there is of the plot.

Why see/buy this film?

Picture: While some of the CG faces on body doubles in the surfing sequences were somewhat dubious, the overall cinematography was astounding... The under water shots were incredible.
This should get an IMAX treatment. In fact the picture composition was so great that it’d be a crime to not receive an Oscar nomination for Cinematography. It won’t even be submitted, but it should!

Sound: I’ve seen Episode II, Spiderman and Black Hawk Down this year and as far as sound goes this one is on par I’d say. Assaulting! The DTS mix we heard kept freaking out my girlfriend because the sound effects would wash over you with the net effect of a freight train rolling over your head at 90 miles an hour. When the characters bail off their boards you feel it all over. I’d say the sound design is also of Oscar quality.

Overall this is a very positive film. I can’t recall any swearing and while the cast spends a great deal of time in swimwear, it felt appropriate. This is a fun romp with good scenery, both my girlfriend and I enjoyed it immensely.

My wish for the DVD if Universal is reading this is a DTS track, a commentary by the Director and maybe one with the main cast.

So I ask, when’s the DVD coming out? Really?

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure about the DVD, but I'm also looking forward to it. I wasn't really looking forward to the movie (I review movies, so I often have to see ones I don't want to) but I was pleasantly surprised. I am incredibly tired to the same old sports movie formula, but this one did it very well.

I also agree, the cinematography and the sound all deserve an Oscar nomination. That was what really made the movie for me. I feel like I was really there surfing. Amazing.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Gotta agree with you guys on this one! The shots in this movie are really incredible, I would love to see some making-of features on this DVD, although I don't think I'd buy it (But my roommate will!).

The sound mix is fantastic! The huge weight and size of the ocean waves are brought to life by the sfx. My ears were ringing after this baby. And you find yourself gasping for air during those underwater shots!

Since there's hardly an ocean where I live (laughs), it was like a mini-vacation seeing this film. Very impressive.

"And the chicks are great."

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I must admit that I enjoyed this movie and would love to see it hit DVD sometime soon.

Joel

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
It's Coming!!!!!
January 14th 2003 and get this: DTS track MMMmmmmmm. Here are the specs according to: http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=v&id=1808396025
• 1 hr. 43 min.
• Color
• Closed Captioned
• Widescreen/Letterboxed
• In English
• Dubbed in French, Spanish
• Universal Studios Home Video
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DVD Features:
Region 1
Keep Case
Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Dolby Digital 5.1 - Spanish
Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
DTS Surround 5.1 - English
Additional Release Material:
Deleted Scenes
Audio Commentary - 1. John Stockwell - Director
2. Cast
Making-of - 1. FILMING BLUE CRUSH
Featurette - 1. ON THE SET OF BLUE CRUSH
2. WIPEOUT!
3. THE WORLD OF SURFING
Documentary - 1. THE FEMALE SURFING REVOLUTION
Music Video - 1. Lenny Kravitz - "If I Could Fall in Love"
Trailers
Interactive Features:
Scene Access
Interactive Menus

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks