Blue Collar......whatever became of the 'american dream"??.......great movie!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christina_V, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Love that tagline as well as a few other lines in the film,that really sum things up.
    Has anyone else seen or like this movie from 1978?
    Well i just watched it early this morning,since i skipped work because we had a huge snow storm & the roads are really bad.Almost got hit/run off the road a few times.So i just turned around and went home.
    Anyway....the film is awsome & really guns in how tough it is for the working class. You work youre life away & never get anywhere & can barely survive. So why bother? Well otherwise you'd have nothing & need $$ to live,no matter how much. The only way to get ahead is to rat people out/sneak youre way up & then what? You end up selling out and becoming part of the problem,just to save yourself. It's a truly unfair world & this movie....along with the great satire by John Carpenter They Live(with Keith Davids great speech!) really speak the truth in away & make you look at things differently.
    **** out of **** stars
    I guess you'll like the movie more if you can identify with the charecters more,which i do. I work my ass off,trying to get into college,move out & get my own place ect ect....yet no matter how much i save & how hard i work....i'm getting nowhere & theres always someone there to take my $$ away[​IMG]
    Also i'm very honest & open...which the higher ups don't like. At my old job,which i worked til i dropped....was kept at the same low pay,never got a offer for promotion to other areas of work in the store besides stocking & no matter how much i demanded a raise...they never gave me one,yet hired all the new people for much more than what i was making!! Our union was horrible and the store did everything they could to keep them out & us from knowing anything about how much we really should be making ect. People i knew there got raises/promotions mainly by ratting out others who told them how much they made & those people ended up getting fired or pay lowered! So i never stooped to that & is one reason they never listened.
    So i had enough of that crap & kept looking for another job. Well i got hired at Best Buy...thought it would be better,but it is'nt. The hours suck since it's not flexable like they said...i either get to many hours or to little,but either way i'm only making about $20 more a week than at my last job + tax's take out way to much. So i'm probably going to have to work two jobs to really save up some $$ and get out of here. I'm gonna look into modeling,since the $$'s good & also drag queen performance..since that will be alot of fun at least.
    As for my old job....they offered a friend of mine who was a cashier...been there 3 yrs it. He asked if he'd get a raise finnaly and they said no,he'd still be stuck at his same old pay of $6.50-he's been making that nearly since he started working there! So he didn't take it & wants out also. As usual...we do all the work,someone else makes all the money!
    It's very unfair + i'm sick of this crap.....but what can you do?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm, I never heard of that movie. IMDB shows Harvey Keitel and other big names in it. I'll keep an eye for it, assuming it is out on DVD.
    I never liked retail sales...it's practically the bottom of the food chain in our society, and that is how people will treat you. [​IMG]
    I remember reading a review about a book that exposes the soul-sapping working conditions at Amazon.com. However, I cannot find a reference to it. Maybe it was an essay I read on the net. Dammit, I can't remember.

3. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Well if you look carefully, you may find some good deals on this dvd. It's released by Anchorbay Entertainment & is a Universal movie.
    I found it in the bargin section at Sam Goody for $2.99!! It was labeled $4.99,but i guess they're trying to get rid of them to make more room,so they lowered it even more & had quite a few copies on the rack......yet still had a couple in the Drama section for full price,about $25!
    It's a great movie and definatly worth picking up.

4. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I agree. It's a great film. Paul Schraeder, who wrote Taxi Driver, directed this film. Harvey is my favorite actor and he was naturally good in this one and Richard Pryor gave an excellent dramatic performance.

5. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

A long-time favorite of mine. BLUE COLLAR is just another example of why Harvey Keitel is one of my favorite actors.

I paid full retail for this one ($24.99) when it first came out on dvd about two years ago. I've since seen it at my local Suncoast for $2.99. But oh well, it was still worth it.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

$2.99 US? Wow that's only $1,000 Canadian! [​IMG]
    I'll definitely keep an eye open for it...although I have never seen any DVDs here in Canuckland priced under $12. [​IMG]