What's new

Blu-Ray with Sony KP-61HS20 and 1:33.1 Content (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I received the Sony BDP-S550 for Christmas, and I am amazed by the quality and even more by the sound!

I do have a question, however. When I am showing Academy standard movies like Casablanca or The Day the Earth Stood Still, they are shown as windowboxed on my television, (which is 4x3 with anamorphic widescreen).
Is there any way to have the BD project on the tv to fill the entire area, or is it just that BD's are all set 16x9? I just hate to have a 61" screen, but only have a 46" picture.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
All BDs are in 16:9, so you can't change it. Don't know why you'd want to change it anyway, otherwise you'd be looking at a stretched picture.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think you completely understood my question. Since the picture is windowboxed (i.e. - I have black bars on all four sides), I am not seeking to stretch or mar the image, I just want take advantage of the entire 61" 4:3 screen on my television.

Thanks for the info about BD's being 16:9. Looks like I will just have to get used to a better, albeit smaller, picture!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Few questions:
These are the BR Casablanca and Day the Earth correct?

How are you connected -- HDMI or component?

What is your S550 Video setting?
What is your TV aspect setting?

Yes you should be able to get a full height 4:3 image so I'm guessing one of the video settings has to be correctable.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These are the BR Casablanca and Day the Earth correct?
Yes.

How are you connected -- HDMI or component?
Component. Tried all the settings, 480 gave me a stretched image from the top of the screen to the bottom, but with black bars on the sides. 720 and 1080 gave me black bars on all four sides.

What is your S550 Video setting?
Component 1080i.

What is your TV aspect setting?
When playing Blu-Ray discs, the setting is auto set for 16:9. When playing DVD's, I can change the setting enhanced 16:9 setting on or off.

Yes you should be able to get a full height 4:3 image so I'm guessing one of the video settings has to be correctable.
After further research, it appears that BD's have the black bars on each side encoded on the disc, so there doesn't seem to be any way for me to do what I am trying to accomplish. Still hoping to be proved wrong on that! Thanks for your help, though!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
are you able to use HDMI or dvi on the tv from the bluray player? that would fix this problem. you will get black side bars on the side.

Jacob

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My Sony set is pre HDMI (2001). Only component in. But the 1080i picture is grand!

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I'm sorry, I didn't know you had a 4:3 screen. I just assumed it was widescreen. But some tvs have an option that enables them to zoom in 4:3 images on a BD, you should search your manual for that.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Sony TV is a 4:3 aspect then, that was also a mistake in my assumption.

I think the Zoom function of your TV may be the only way to get it full screen on a Blu Ray disc, but I'm not sure how much picture degradation that would cause vs using a standard DVD (I don't think you can upscale DVD over component).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks