What's new

Blu-ray with projector? (1 Viewer)

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
Hi, I have a Sharp XR-10S projector that's DTV/HDTV compatible. I have it hooked up to an HD cable box and the HD channels look great!

My question is can I hook up a Blu-ray dvd player to it? I ask because I only have two options to hooking it up to a dvd player: S-video or that yellow video plug. No optical or DVI or HDMI plugs. I would really like to know before I go and spend a lot of money on a Blu-ray player.

If not, what about an upconverting dvd player?

Thanks.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
S-Video? Composite? Horrors.

Connect it using component cables-- I assume you have the Component to RGB adaptor (Part AN-C3CP2)?

Appaently, it looks like this:

And since you have two RGB ports, you should have little problem connecting both the bluray player and the cable box.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Are you running your audio through a receiver? If so which one?

You are using a receiver it may be capable or switching the component video for you. If it cannot the best thing is to look at a component switch box which will allow you to use one input on the projector. This may be better than running a second long cable to the PJ, depending on how you are set up.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The component to RGB adapter pictured above will only work if either the DVD player massages the video signal first (into RGB) to be compatible with what the projector wants or the projector will accept what the DVD player gives it (component video). Any needed adjustments, if available, are manually done.

A small number of upscale A/V receivers will do the massaging. There are also dongles called transcoders that do. Being able to switch component video does not automatically mean being able to change it to RGB.

(Very vague hypothetical analogy) Imagine the DVD player is putting down the red, green, and blue cables (or HDMI cable) signals for red, white and blue while the projector wants red, green, and blue. You finish the story.

In addition, hi-def DVD players will throw away half the resolution (like HDTV's with cheap 1080i to 1080p conversion) if the recipient (projector) is not connected via a HDCP compliant digital input. For this reason I would not bother with Blue Ray for a run of the mill office projector. Furthermore, if the recipient actually does have cheap 1080i to 1080p conversion, it may throw away up to half of what remains. (You'll still get more than what you got with S-video cabling.)

Video hints: Component Video

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

You know, you should really try reading manuals sometime. I didn't conjure up that part number out of thin air.

jblfx

Grip
Real Name
Luis
Ouch! Run of the mill office projector? Well, someday I'll be able to get a "real" projector. But let me tell you, this one looks AWESOME! Watching DVDs or HD channels looks great.

But anywho, thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

plinkoking

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I a panasonic 2000 and a samsung bluray run using HDMI and it works awsome HDTV also looks great

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks