BLU-RAY VS HD DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MiguelP, May 4, 2006.

1. MiguelP

MiguelP Stunt Coordinator

With all these upcoming new technologies people are going to go crzy over on what to pick or whats going to benefit thier entertainment.

I myself is going crzy on all these upcoming new technology and its gonna cost money again for me just to obtain it.

For instance since SACD/DVD-audio didn't really hit the mark
    we will see how blu-ray and hd dvd will achieve its goal into the new generation of dvds.

Not many people have widescreen televsion nor hdtv's in thier homes. There is only going to be a majority of people actually having Blu-ray or HD Dvd. I don't think I want to pull out a grand or to, I'll rather wait till it gets cheaper.

But then I don't think I can get one because My widescreen can only output 1080i and I don't even have hdmi only dvi. Is it possible for me to still get a blu-ray player n output it to a 1080i scale? Oppose to scaling to 1080p? Since it will require a hdmi input what is going to happen to components and dvi?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

A moderator will probably place this thread in a different hardware section.

Considering the rather short, (and somewhat uninspiring) list of DVDs that are slated to be released on Blu Ray, their high price, the $1,000 price of the player, the uncertainty of the outcome of the format war, the very limited number of 1080P displays, etc., etc., I am giving the whole DVD upgrade issue a year to mature before I even consider jumping in.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You bet. Miguel, welcome aboard. Please pay attention to where you are posting. Thanks.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There will be no problem with obtaining a 1080i output from a Blu-Ray player (or from an HD-DVD player either).

Your DVI input will be OK, provided that your display is High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP) compliant. If not (and it most probably will be), you will have to depend on the ICT flag not being set on the software).

5. MiguelP

MiguelP Stunt Coordinator

Definitely! Not everyone will obtain blu-ray and the limited supplies of blu-ray discs will also be very high in demand for some blu-ray users in the future.

As for the scaling issues, I seriouslly don't see a difference between 1080i and 1080p. But I just hope blu-ray players will have dvi and components also...i dont want to take out money in the bank just to get a widescreen tv that can scale to 1080p or 720p. They got to make these formats work for ppl who cannot afford to upgrade just to enjoy blu-ray.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You don’t need a DVI output—there are plenty of HDMI to DVI connectors.