What's new

Blu-Ray - Sony vs Panasonic with HDMI (1 Viewer)

Floyd

Agent
I own a new Samsung LN52A850 with a new Onkyo 706 receiver and Toshiba HD DVD Player(Sorry, I picked wrong). I connect via 1.3 HDMI and component as a backup. I have a matched set of Infinity 5.1 speakers anchored with the Infinity Alpha 50's. I may add the 2 side speakers soon for 7.1. I want to buy a good blu-ray player but would rather stay below $300 if possible. Should I get the Sony 350 or 550 or the Panasonic 35 or 55?
What should I buy now for best blu-ray!

Also is the PS3 as good at blu-ray as the stand alone players?

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
The PS3 is in my opinion, is by far the best Blu-Ray player there is so far and this is irrespective of the price. The only thing lacking on the PS3 is, analog outs for 5.1 audio. But since it seems you are already set for Dolby TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio via HDMI, the decision is a no brainer. Buy the PS3, don't forget to buy the remote (approx $20) and believe you me, you shall not be dissapointed.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
The PS3 has great quality, true, but it sounds like a hairdryer when running. Since you have a nice system you might want to go standalone. I'll give my recommendations to the Panasonic BD-35 since I've seen it in action. The new Sony players aren't anything to scoff at, however.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

My 40GB PS3 is quieter than my Wii! I believe the loud fans were only in the original "backwards compatible via hardware" model PS3s (20/60/80GB).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would go with the panasonic 35. I own the P. 30 and have been very happy with it.

Jacob

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I keep hearing about the high level of noise from the PS3 but personally for me, it has never been an issue. I have the original 80GB PS3 which I believe has software based backward compatibility. Compared to the PS3, all standalone BD players are way too slow and sluggish. It is not just the slow Boot-up/Turn-On, Turn-off and loading times but rather the very sluggish and slow respond time to any commands which is quite frustrating. Also, the ergonomics and GUI of the Panasonic players BD35 & BD55 are in my opinion rather poor.
Check out this thread --> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...eatures-2.html
Also, you might want to read my posts:
here --> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3458079-post54.html and here --> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/3461036-post74.html

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
my panasonic 30 player has gotten some great firmware updates and it does load up much faster then before.. plus they have ehanced the upconversion on standard dvd.. its looking very good with the panasonic 30. I also have a ps3. I remember it being a bit noisy.. I mostly use my panasonic 30 for movies.

Jacob

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I haven't noticed any noise problem w/ my PS3/40GB (now w/ a cooler running 120GB Western Digital HDD) either, but then again, I don't sit right next to it when I watch movies. :P :D If there's noise, it's certainly nothing like my various computers or the old XBox -- don't have any other new-ish game consoles for comparison. Before the PS3, I generally only used standalones for DVD playback (except for a very brief stint during the early days of DVD), and the Denon SD2910 was my most recent standalone DVD player (that I still use for audio-only playback).

_Man_

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have the Panasonic DMP-BD50 and there's virtually no noise whatsoever. It also has the 5.1. analogs out. SDVD upgrade quality is very good, I read that the newer BD55 is even better in this respect.

Some "problem" BD's (like a few from the new Bond sets) that were reported not to play on certain other machines, played fine on my Panny. In fact I have yet to encounter any playback problem with this machine (knock wood).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread