What's new

Blu Ray / Receiver (1 Viewer)

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
I just bought the Panasonic DMP-BD35K 1080p Blu-ray Player. I need to get the best receiver to make the use of the sound from the blu ray player. What model would be the best using HDMI and under $300. Please if you have any opinions on this please let me know since I have no idea about it.

Another quick question would the blu ray player connect to the receiver then to the tv using hdmi? So then I would have to go from my tv back to the receiver for my cable, xbox 360 to have their sound going through the speakers?

Thank You
Jerry

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Just about any receiver that accepts HDMI will work.

Incorrect. All of the equipment should be connected to the receiver and then the receiver sends the signal to the TV via that one HDMI cable.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Not exactly...........
There's receivers that have "pass through" HDMI. That's video only. You still have to use an optical or coax cable for 5.1 audio.

Then there's HDMI receivers that will do DD and DTS over HDMI, but don't decode the HD audio formats from blu ray movies. If the player decodes them internally, and bitstreams them over HDMI to the receiver, it can play them (I think).

Then there's the receivers that can decode the HD audio formats, from Blu ray movies. It sounds like this kind is what the poster is looking for. Just don't believe it's going to happen for less than $300. The cheapest receiver I know of, that will decode, is the Onkyo TX-SR606. Amazon.com has it now for $359.99, and I don't think you'll find it much cheaper than that. Put a little more with that $300, and you can get just what you need. See it here:
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Audio & Video

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'm in the same situation as Jerry, and confused. He doesn't need a receiver that decodes the new HD formats if the Blu-ray player has them built in, does he? The Pan. 35 has them built in.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If the receiver has HDMI pass through, it won't play HD audio, even if the player decodes it. If receiver has 5.1/7.1 analog inputs, and player decodes internally and sends signal over 5.1/7.1 analog outputs, which BD35 does not do, you're ok.

Best thing is to just get a receiver that decodes, and not have to worry about it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm using the 5.1 analog in's for DolbyTrueHD from a Samsung 1400 and it works well enough but a receiver that does the decoding is the best way to go.

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
I want to start off by thanking everyone for their posts. I actually have some good news. I was looking at getting

Yamaha - 910W 7.1-Ch. Digital Home Theater Receiver - RX-V663BL

I can get it for $315 from a friend that works at BB.

My wife's company has a points program where when you do good you get points and you can buy stuff with those points. She has enough to get a bunch of different receivers and I mean ones that run $999 for free. So i'm happy about that but those better receivers kick out more watts and then my speakers
http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc68/68870.pdf

My wife lost my reciever(I know how can you lose something that big. Our house is TINY too. LOL)

Will the speakers blow out and will I have to get new ones?

Thanks again and sorry for typing so much in one post.

Thanks
jerry

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
You'll be fine with that receiver. Speakers can be damaged by receivers that don't have enough power.

jerry8989

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry W
Kevin,

How good is this receiver for use with my current speakers, Blu ray, Cable, xbox, etc..?

Yamaha - 980W 7.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver - RX-V863BL

Anyone else with an opinion it would be appreciated. I can get this one from my wifes work for free. Thank god he boss mentioned he bought a receiver through their work. We didn't think about it. LOL

Thank you again to everyone who posted.

Jerry

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You can get a $1000 receiver for free? Go for it!
That receiver should serve you well. It decodes the new HD audio formats, has 3 HDMI inputs, 7.1 analog inputs, pre-outs, and plenty of optical and digital coax inputs. I would jump on it...........

DavidTrent

Auditioning
Follow on question from a lurker...

I have a Denon 985 receiver (no HDMI inputs, but a damn nice receiver). I bought a Panasonic Plasma TV TH50PX600U two years ago that has two HDMI inputs (and no digital audio outputs). My wife now has a PC that has a Blu-Ray player and HDMI output.

How do I shunt the HDMI output to the TV but get a digital audio signal to the receiver for the surround sound (understanding that I need to use one of the "old" audio encodings given the HD decodings aren't on my system).

(Yes, one day hopefully soon I'll buy a dedicated Blu-Ray player / PS3 that hopefully has a built-in workaround to my current problem -- e.g. separate digital audio jack -- but I'm looking for an interim solution.)

The wife will beat me over the head if I say our 5 year old receiver needs to be replaced to accomodate Blu-Ray (and HD TV when it comes to our area). HELP! (and thanks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks