What's new

Blu-Ray prices... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, Blu-Ray has provided me with some serious nostalgia: I feel like I'm back in the days of laser disc purchases.

True, the picture quality and (sometimes) supplements of these DVD's is superior to what I was able to get from laser, but then again, laser gave me those beautiful 12" x 12" jackets and lots of liner notes.

But I purchases MANY FEWER lasers than I have been purchasing standard DVD's over the past six or seven years, due to the price. I do not earn six figures each year. I am lower middle-class (thanks to... well, that's another, non-allowable discussion) and have to budget my movie purchases. I am planning to buy a 1080 LCD and a Blu-Ray player, but my software purchases are going to be very limited unless the retail price of these discs goes down, hopefully to standard DVD levels. As I can't imagine it will actually cost more to replicate hi-def discs once the demand for the format increases - probably boosted in January by the switch from analog to digital broadcasts - I am hoping the current $25-35.00 price range will drop very soon.

If not, Hollywood ain't getting much of my money for this new format.

Any one else?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, one of the major purposes of Blu-ray was to reintroduce the profit margin that was lost too quickly on DVDs when they began showing up for $10-15. The studios feel they let DVD bottom out too soon, so I wouldn't anticipate Blu-ray getting below $24.95 MSRP in any consistent way for a few years still.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks