What's new

Blu-ray Player Glitch (?) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I use my "backup" BD player almost solely to copy audio commentaries onto cassette so I can listen to them elsewhere.

It's worked fine for years, but when I went to use it the other day, I got an image with a massive pink/purple tint. I also got no audio from the TV itself.

I thought this might've been my TV acting up, so I turned off the set and turned it back on, which has cured similar glitches.

Nope. Still the same.

I thought it might've been an HDMI cable gone bad, so I used a different cable that also went to a different input on the same TV.

No change.

The BD player still puts out audio via the RCAs, so I continue to be able to record commentaries, and it plays back movies fine other than the color and the lack of audio to the TV.

Any thoughts about this? Maybe the player just crapped out in an odd way and it's time for a new one?

WogmZLu.jpg

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I use my "backup" BD player almost solely to copy audio commentaries onto cassette so I can listen to them elsewhere.

It's worked fine for years, but when I went to use it the other day, I got an image with a massive pink/purple tint. I also got no audio from the TV itself.

I thought this might've been my TV acting up, so I turned off the set and turned it back on, which has cured similar glitches.

Nope. Still the same.

I thought it might've been an HDMI cable gone bad, so I used a different cable that also went to a different input on the same TV.

No change.

The BD player still puts out audio via the RCAs, so I continue to be able to record commentaries, and it plays back movies fine other than the color and the lack of audio to the TV.

Any thoughts about this? Maybe the player just crapped out in an odd way and it's time for a new one?

WogmZLu.jpg

I've had something like this happen when I turned on the player before the TV.
Oppo BDP-203 here.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've had something like this happen when I turned on the player before the TV.
Oppo BDP-203 here.

Interesting, but that doesn't impact my player. TV on first, player on first - still pink/purple!

Maybe the HDMI port itself on the player went bad? As I mentioned, the RCA still send out audio!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I meant a different hdmi input.

Already said in OP that I tried 2 different HDMI cables - and 2 different inputs on my TV - so I figured you meant a non-HDMI link.

I could see it as a problem with the HDMI output on the player but not the cable, since I tried 2 different cables.

And since I connected the second cable to HDMI 2 on my player - rather than HDMI 3, the input I normally use - it's not the TV's input.

I don't think my BD player has a 2nd HDMI output, but I'll check - if it does, I can try that to eliminate the one output port as the problem...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My gut feeling is the hdmi board of the player is fried.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just popped in to say I am amazed that someone here is still using audio cassettes.

Ha ha - I'm a hipster! :lol:

I use them because I listen to so many audio commentaries for my review website. I don't want to have to sit in front of the TV and watch just for the commentary, so I tape them and listen to them while on the road or walking my dog - it's just way more efficient.

I guess there are other ways of copying the commentaries to more newfangled devices like my iPhone, but this is an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. The cassettes have served me well for like 25 years, so why stop?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My gut feeling is the hdmi board of the player is fried.

Yeah, that makes sense. I still need to check out the video via the RCAs - I suspect it'll work fine that way.

Well, I'd rather have the BD player go kablooey than the TV! I initially feared this was a sign my LG was going on the fritz, which terrifies me because it's borderline irreplaceable - they don't make OLED 3D 4K sets anymore!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Weird update:

Player still has glitch but it still plays all BDs - except those from Sony.

And it's not just refusing to play NEW Sony BDs - it won't play any, even ones it used to play.

A Sony player that only refuses to play Sony products! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks