What's new

Blu-Ray on Mac...? (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I own a HDV camcorder and I'd like to be able to burn the video I shoot to BD. I see that there are some BD-R drives for Mac available, and that Toast 10 supports BD. However, are these options worth it? Can they create BDs that will play on, say, a PS3 and be recognized as such (similar to a DVD-R formatted as a video DVD)?

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Yes you can do this on the MAC using Roxio Toast only. There is a separate $20 Blu-Ray plugin that has to be bought. But...you can not really view it back on your MAC to test it cause the OS and DVD player do not support Blu-Ray discs. So...if things don't burn properly, you will waste a few discs trying it out.

And I am not sure if the Blu-Ray drive can be internal or not. You might have to get an external drive in a firewire case. Not sure if the OS drivers will support writing to Blu-Ray on the internal bus. Might want to google that one.

You will also have limited options for authoring the disc since you will be limited to whatever options Toast gives you for menus, look and feel, etc...

Until Apple starts putting in HDCP compatible video cards...they will probably not support Blu-Ray on their computers natively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks