What's new

Blu-Ray movies cracked? (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, ICT should have nothing to do with this at all.

The purpose of ICT is to prevent full resolution copies being made over analog connections (recording a High Def movie on a D-VHS recorder over component, for example).

If you can bypass AACS and make a direct digital copy, then ICT is meaningless and activating it would do nothing.

Now if we were seeing high quality analog copies of HD movies on the internet ( or as sources for large scale pirate operations) that were recorded over component, then that would be a reason to be concerned that studios would start using ICT.

Since this is about being able to rip an original digital copy, how would ICT be of any relevance? It wouldn't.

Gary Rhine

Stunt Coordinator
Kind of a moot point since we are seeing high quality digital copies of HD movies on the internet.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Yup, You're right.

I was thinking of PPV, and for some odd reason thinking PPV needed ICT to be active.

In fact, at this point, I guess ICT is completely irrelevant unless playback is completely disabled on Non-vista PC's, which would be nigh-impossible at this point.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
Why exactly were the studios so up-in-arms over the ICT flag and down-rezzing HD content over component? I mean, don't most (if not all) folks interested in copying do so in the digital realm by means of ripping?

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Yes,

But I think the plan was for AACS and PPV(And maybe others) to prevent digital ripping, so as to lock out the possibility of ripping over component.

The problem now is WinXP, so long as WinXP has the ability to play and recognize HD discs, there's a major hole. Impossible to plug one.

The only solution is for all XP machines to have HD Players deactivated and HD drives unrecognizable. While it's doable, it's *really* not in MS's best interests. That kind of thing has a tendency to generate alot of ill feelings.

So, for the moment, it's back to square 1 with piracy. The only major benefit currently is the size of the files and the time to pirate them from P2P. It's not a major issue for the foreseeable future, but it's still likely to result in some fairly decent lawsuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks