What's new

Blu Ray! Is there somewhere to vote on a title you want to see as Blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

isoin

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Niosi
Wonder how the industry decides which films make it to blu ray. There should be a site on with to petition to have a title available as a blu ray.When the requests get high enough to make it commercially viable then it is produced as a blu ray. Does some consensus like this exist?

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by isoin

Wonder how the industry decides which films make it to blu ray.
If we're speaking of old catalog titles, I'm sure the sales figures for the standard DVD editions are the primary indicator of market interest that is used to determine blu-ray viability.

Almost all major contemporary films are destined for blu-ray. Since most of them are now shot digitally, the high-def masters already exist.

isoin

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Niosi
Yes, of course that makes sense. Wonder if there may be some method of persuading the industry into producing some titles in Bul Ray which may fall in the category of not being considered. For example a site where folks suggest titles which starts a pre-buy list. Others sign up for the pre-buy and when the demand is high enough, the Blu Ray gets produced. Is there such a thing? Should there be? What do you think?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I doubt very much that the industry would take seriously any website where movie enthusiasts voted for films they would like on Blu-ray. A website like that would be dominated by hard core fanatics like us and would represent the opinions - and buying potential - of only a small minority. Any company taking the risk of putting out a BRD is interested in a much larger cross section of society.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robin9

I doubt very much that the industry would take seriously any website where movie enthusiasts voted for films they would like on Blu-ray. A website like that would be dominated by hard core fanatics like us and would represent the opinions - and buying potential - of only a small minority. Any company taking the risk of putting out a BRD is interested in a much larger cross section of society.

Well Paramount is taking a keen interest by asking the question of what HTF members would like to see next released in Blu-ray. We got Scrooge and My Fair Lady. They also are taking serious the want for the rest of the Cecil B. DeMille titles.

Sony also has said that 1776 is on the map for release and mostly due again to the expressed want from HTF members. And Warners has listened also, especially on their Facebook page with the archives.

I know that they also do other marketing research before they commit to a title, but the knowledge that people at this site are asking for the titles shows there is some interest. That is also one of the reasons I think that Sony and Twilight Time teamed up for limited Blu-ray releases. And the MOD programs for DVD-r's is a direct result of filling the needs of the "hard core fanatics."

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I suggest two fabulous musicals' of sorts 'starring the incomparable Tommy Steele; Half a Sixpence and Where's Jack both mega budget spectaculars , filmed in 70mm I believe, and released in 1969 and 1967 respectively and owned by Paramount Pictures....

isoin

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Niosi
Interesting. Then maybe right here there should be a place where folks can nominate and vote. Some clever marketing person might find it. Anyone out there interested in seeing 1960 version of The Time Machine on Blu-Ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks