What's new

Blu Ray - Hongkong release of Patton - Single Disc Only? (1 Viewer)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
I just bought Patton in Hong Kong and it a single disc version! No disc two with all the supplements! :thumbsdown:

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
I'm pretty impressed with the PQ, best I've seen for this film. However, I'm pretty PO'd about no docs, only the commentary and intro by FFC.

Curious if FOX will be including the announced 2nd disc in North America. If yes, wouldn't this disc be the first to have a different configuration in different countries but within the same region (region A) ?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

As I take it that you have only seen it on DVD before that would not mean much or are you also talking about 35mm ?

Can you tell us how it compares to the best the Blu-Ray format has to offer with regard to resolution ? At least on 70mm it is said to surpass everything available in 35mm. Would be nice to see that at least it equals the best 35mm movies available on Blu-Ray.

Thanks !

Oliver

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK

Yup, saw that. IIRC, most announcements indicated two discs (movie + commentary on disc 1 and extras on disc 2) so that's why I was surprised. Hopefully the US version will be 2 disc.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Ah, they made the first disc a Blu-ray and just used the 2nd DVD from the 2-disc SD release from a couple of years ago as the bonus disc. I actually think that's very smart, and exactly what they should have done with the Blu-ray of I, ROBOT.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I have yet to see a Blu-Ray that was not improved over the DVD version of the same film with regard to resolution that's why I asked for the source of your comparison. I guess I could also wait to see for myself how Patton looks, but this is a movie I have been waiting for for a long time, as this is the first Blu-Ray release of a 70mm movie that can make optimal use of the available bitrate and capacity of the format and I am kind of curious to see how it turned out :)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

If the extras are all at 480p anyway, there's no advantage to putting them on a Blu-ray disc other than that glorious scratch-resistant coating. Leaving the bonus disc as an SD-DVD works fine for me...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just read a review at blu-ray.com where someone complained about the audio hiss (but gave the PQ a 5.0), and all I could think of was the Hello Dolly DVD, aka Goodbye, High-Ends. I'd rather leave in a little hiss if it means retaining all the frequencies that exist.

I just hope that reviews like this don't influence the studios and we don't get over-denoised Blu-Ray soundtracks.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ah, they made the first disc a Blu-ray and just used the 2nd DVD from the 2-disc SD release from a couple of years ago as the bonus disc. I actually think that's very smart, and exactly what they should have done with the Blu-ray of I, ROBOT.

Indeed. Blade Runner's the same way, with the two bonus content discs being DVDs rather than BDs.

I'll be ditching my two-disc SD-DVD of the title when I pick up the BD. I'd be more than willing to part with it for free, John, if you need disc 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks