What's new

Blu-Ray/HD-DVD vs. DVD-A/SACD sound quality? (1 Viewer)

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know if the next-gen video discs will have better audio than currently available on DVD-A or SACD?

Manus

Second Unit
"Anybody know if the next-gen video discs will have better audio than currently available on DVD-A or SACD?

Not until movie studios upgrade from 48khz recording. DolbyTrueHD uses an improved version of the Dvd-A mlp codec.If you google the 2 formats home pages they will probably explain whats possible ( Bluray are particularly good at speculation ;) but it will be some time before > than Dvd-A/sacd sound is available IMO.

~M~

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I don't think either Blu-ray or hd-dvd will have higher PCM rates than 24/192. That's the highest bit rate dvd-audio can go in stereo.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
technically it's possible to release BR/HD-DVD as MUSIC only discs =).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
For PCM, the 192khz/24bit format is currently the highest resolution being used in recording studios, but that is a very rare occurance - 96kHz/24bit is much more prevalent but relatively speaking even that is rare compared to the 44.1kHz and 48kHz recording formats. FYI: there are many respected professionals who scoff at using anything more than 96/24.......and sometimes 48/24.

DSD: IIRC there are higher recording resolutions available than what's built into all sacd players (there is only one DSD resolution for home players & and that is the 2.8mHz/1bit format), but I don't know if such formats are backwards compatible with existing sacd players (PCM can be easily downconverted in a player to lower resolutions).

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
So, is there even a *hint* of music albums coming out on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

And would there even be a market for it? Neither DVD-A or SACD exactly flew off the shelves...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
DVD-A and SACD didn't get much publicity... so i doubt we will see BR+HD-DVD music only anytime soon. it is technically possible... but in terms of market viability, i doubt it. as lance brought up, CD's 44.1 pretty much takes care of MOST of the recordings we have today and for the foreseeable future.

on the other hand if BR+HD formats catch on close to SD-DVD's craze... then music on these formats will just be a BONUS =). gravy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks