What's new

Blu Ray & HD-DVD discs - standard DVD players (1 Viewer)

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all. I've read quite a few helpful facts about the above two new HD formats. It has been written that the new HD players will be backwards compatible with consumers' DVD collection. My question is that are the Blu Ray and HD-DVD discs playable in the current standard DVD players? I for one, own a Denon DVD-2910 player with HDMI and DVI digital outputs. I'm interested in purchasing the newer titles on Blu Ray or HD-DVD. Given this format war, I plan on sitting on the sidelines until they work out the kinks in the first generation players of both formats and come out with a universal player. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so, but I vaguely recall that in light of the storage capacity of the disc (especially Blu-Ray), it would have the SD version of the movie as well. But it's a vague recollection and you shouldn't hold me to it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Blu-Ray most certainly would not be since the laser (blue) is different than the red one used for CD/DVD.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Lew, I forgot about the laser specs [blue as opposed to red] which certainly gives me an answer. Thank you.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
so in other words, I will own 135 titles that can't be played on a new HD player? Its a good arguement for netflix, but not so good for the movie studios. Of course, I still have some 20 or so VHS titles....

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
craig, HD and Blu-ray players will play DVDs. The original poster was asking if DVD players could read HD and Blu-ray discs.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The studios, (or someone) was talking about making hybrid disks - where one side would be SD, and the other side HD or BD. That is what you are looking for, but I have no idea if anyone is going to do it!

Glenn

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
It's kind of like people asking "So, the Playstation2 can play Playstation1 games, but can the PS1 play PS2 games?".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks