Blu Ray & HD-DVD discs - standard DVD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by George Caronan, Apr 26, 2006.

1. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Hello all. I've read quite a few helpful facts about the above two new HD formats. It has been written that the new HD players will be backwards compatible with consumers' DVD collection. My question is that are the Blu Ray and HD-DVD discs playable in the current standard DVD players? I for one, own a Denon DVD-2910 player with HDMI and DVI digital outputs. I'm interested in purchasing the newer titles on Blu Ray or HD-DVD. Given this format war, I plan on sitting on the sidelines until they work out the kinks in the first generation players of both formats and come out with a universal player. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I don't think so, but I vaguely recall that in light of the storage capacity of the disc (especially Blu-Ray), it would have the SD version of the movie as well. But it's a vague recollection and you shouldn't hold me to it.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Blu-Ray most certainly would not be since the laser (blue) is different than the red one used for CD/DVD.

4. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Lew, I forgot about the laser specs [blue as opposed to red] which certainly gives me an answer. Thank you.

5. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    so in other words, I will own 135 titles that can't be played on a new HD player? Its a good arguement for netflix, but not so good for the movie studios. Of course, I still have some 20 or so VHS titles....

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    craig, HD and Blu-ray players will play DVDs. The original poster was asking if DVD players could read HD and Blu-ray discs.

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The studios, (or someone) was talking about making hybrid disks - where one side would be SD, and the other side HD or BD. That is what you are looking for, but I have no idea if anyone is going to do it!

Glenn

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

It's kind of like people asking "So, the Playstation2 can play Playstation1 games, but can the PS1 play PS2 games?".

9. Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton Second Unit

Warner Brothers are set to release Rumour Has It as the first hybrid HD DVD/SD DVD disc on 9th May for $39.99.

AV revolution article