What's new

Blu-Ray from vga output? (1 Viewer)

PaulVS

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Shea
I have a Blu-Ray capable laptop computer (Duo Core 2 & Intel 965 graphics) that I would like to get an external USB Blu-Ray player for... and connect to my 1080p Philips 47" HDTV to watch Blu-Ray movies, as well as other normal computer functions.

The problem is, the only video output on the laptop is VGA. Is there a (cheap) way to go from VGA-out to HDMI-in?

Thanks in advance.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Don't think you'll be able to get 1080p output from VGA because of the encryption.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Save your money for a Blu-Ray player with HDMI/HDCP output.

While there are only a few encrypted disks now, there is no telling whether most disks in the not to distant future will be encrypted.

Encrypted disks will yield only a SDTV quality picture via VGA or component video.

Video hints: Video Technicalia Made Easy

There are a few hurdles needed to get from PC to TV. In many cases you need to put a box in between, just a cable might not do.

1. VGA, although it can exist as 720p or 1080p, usually exists only as 480p, 600p, 768p, and 1024p. Some PC video cards can massage the player output to 720p or 1080p. Some TV sets will accept 768p and 1024p.

2. You would be using the component video input, not the HDMI input. A color space conversion from RGB (VGA color space) to Y/Pb/Pr (component video color space). It is possible although unlikely your PC or your TV can with a manual adjustment match the other's color space.

3. The sync. pulses have to be combined with the Y signal. In VGA horizontal and vertical sync. are on a fourth and fifth wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks