What's new

Blu-ray Event News (including some Fox title info) (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Panasonic can pull out the Dolby Digital or DTS cores (if available) and decode them and pass it out as PCM, but it can't decode DD+, TrueHD (the previous model could do both of these), DTS HD or DTS HD MA. It can pass all of these out as their native bitstream to a receiver that has the ability to decode these. A side efect of this is PIP audio mixing will only work if you are listening to a PCM, DD or DTS core track. It will not work with any lossless or high resolution format. That is why it is better to let the player do the decoding.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, one reason I like the idea of having outboard advanced audio decoding is to keep the lossless stream 'pure' for audiophile applications/listening. So that's the way I'd listen 99% of the time to my discs... external decoding of advanced audio to ensure bit-for-bit lossless performance.

But Naturally, when you *want* to hear the commentary mixed, in the player *should* be able to internally decode as pass the matrixed audio as PCM to your recevier.

If the new Panny lacks this ability, that's a SERIOUS omission, and I wouldn't even consider this player. My next BD player (replacing my PS3) must:

* provide internal advanced audio decoding as well as pass bitstream over HDMI 1.3 to external decoders.
* Be 2.0 compliant/with ethernet. Wireless is even better.

I burned CDRs to update my old panny DVD player and now that I've enjoyed the PS3's painless/effortless updating via ethernet, nothing else will do!

How hard can it be to provide these features??? The longer manufacturers take to provide BASIC items like this that consumers clearly want, the longer enthusiasts will continue to fence-sit and wait for "the right" player to come along.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Same here. To turn a phrase, "That's just... dumb". It is so dumb, in fact, it makes me wonder if it isn't a mistake.

Anyway, David, I concur with your requirements in a future BD player. If I can afford a Pioneer Elite or Denon that is dual-format at that time, so much the better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was at Panasonic during their announcement regarding this player and it doesn't meet your requirements for your next BD player.

Crawdaddy

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

The lack of Ethernet from players baffles me. In bulk it couldn't add more than 2 or 3 dollars to the overall cost of the machine--even it if doesn't provide 2.0 support, just for firmware updates!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
agreed 100%. What are these manufacturers thinking?

While Toshiba has gone it alone with HD DVD hardware for the most part... at least they got the required-specs thing right. BD made things too easy because of manufacture pressure and it's pretty lame that we STILL dont' have eithernet on these "top tier" players.

Of course... had manufacturers joined into the HD DVD party with more vigor... who knows... maybe they would have put pressure on Toshiba to relax palyer requirements as well!

;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would suggest that anybody that is a fan of Pixar's films take a look at the podcasts of Brad Bird and John Lasseter. I found both filmmakers very engaging and really look forward to their future projects. The Brad Bird interview was captured in it's entirety so you really get a good sense regarding his filmmaking philosophy.

Crawdaddy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. It was amazing to see just how passionate, and dedicated, his is about making his movies the best that they can be.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have to pretty much agree. I mean I won´t "replace" my PS3 until there is a "full future proof" Blu-ray-player. This means HDMI 1.3 w all HD audio formats/pass bitstream, profile 1.1/2.0, ethernet, etc.

Since PS3 is doing such a good job, the next player must be better.

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Seppo
The videos are really great. Thank you very much for posting them!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
so think about this-
Fox has said the reason they will not be putting the (more in demand?) Unrated cut of Die Hard on Bd is because the materials were not available in time- suggesting a long development time associated with Bd releases

Yet, 4 days before they were scheduled to be released, Fox announces two more catalog title postponements- Battle Of Britian and A Bridge Too Far.
These were originally announced at the end of August- just a shade over two months ago...did they just realize they couldn't get these out?
Is Fox purposefully using Vaporware to influence perceptions of the formats with regards to future adoptees?

Hopefully Bill Hunt will get to the bottom of all this, inbetween rants on how sub $200 HD DVD players are anti-consumer and anti-HD mass adoption.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am not particularly happy with Fox and I know that several people that attended the past week's events in LA weren't exactly thrilled with them either.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I think the answer is obvious and it pisses me off when they do shit like that but if you think it's only the big bad BDA studios using vaporware to dupe people you're fooling yourself. How bout the HD DVD group featuring those (untouchable) Spielberg films in those HD DVD presentations. "Oops we made an innocent mistake" my ass.

I hate to break it to you but both sides in this "war" are slime.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Should have also mentioned my next player won't cost more than $500. So yeah, that leaves out combo units.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I went into the Panasonic press conference thinking that this player (the BD30) would be 2.0 compatible as well as having a host of other goodies and that it would make my secondary Blu-ray player (a BD10A) almost obsolete. After hearing about the feature set on the BD30 and seeing it in action (or should I say "inaction" in terms of some features that really should be there) I see no reason for getting rid of my BD10A, and certainly not my original PS3. All that the BD30 seems to offer is some PIP capability. Even the rest of the 1.1 specs are with a bit of a catch since it appears that the requirement for having persistent storage ability for bookmarks, etc. is met, technically, by having an SD card slot. Panasonic doesn't even include an SD card! With the falling price of media 1 Gig SD cards have dropped below 10 bucks on the internet and 256Meg cards are almost giveaways. Also, as Adam pointed out, the lack of an Ethernet port also is quite surprising because this locks this supposed 1.1 player out of ever doing 2.0 through firmware.

On the other hand, my PS3 continues to meet all my Blu-ray needs and it appears that there is a good chance that FW may even provide all the 1.1 and 2.0 parameters albeit some via a software emulation route. Time will tell.

The BD10A has, we're told, been discontinued and the BD30 lists for the same ($499) price. Other than getting rid of the hinged front door I'm not too excited by the BD30. And the fact that it only provides bitstream output for some of the advanced HD audio codecs locks out a significant segment of the audience with pre/pros and receivers that can't do outboard decoding.

The BD30A might be a nice unit for some, but it's not the product that I thought Panasonic would be offering at this time. Maybe their next model will get it all right (including 2.0).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks