What's new

Blu-ray Event News (including some Fox title info) (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
A few members of the HTF staff are down in LA for a Blu-ray media event this week. Yesterday we met with Fox and they showed us some highlights of some upcoming BD titles:

Die Hard 4 (November 20th): Only available as part of the Die Hard Collection. It is the theatrical cut. Only the DVD has the unrated extended cut. Fox reiterated that there wasn't enough time to put the extended cut on BD. There is also a BD-J game with a funny intro by Kevin Smith. To win the game you have to go through three levels of a building without being detected.

Independence Day (December 4th): 27Mb/s. There is a BD-J game that uses persistent storage to save your place in the game. The game starts the movie with a list of things on the bottom of the screen that you have to find (glass of ice water, newscaster with glasses, etc). When you see an item you move the curser to it and click enter. There are different things to find every time to play the game.

I Robot (2008-TBD): In addition to going through the menu, you can access special features anytime during the movie by using the appropriate color button. There are 3 commentaries accessible by selecting the green button on the remote. The blue button pulls up the index, the yellow button the trivia track and the red button accesses featurettes that are relevant to the section of the movie you are in.

Master and Commander (2008-TBD): 25 Mb/s. Has a my scenes feature to save you favorite moments. It doesn't appear that you can share them online like you can on some Universal and WB discs. There is also a map that you can activate anytime to see where the ships are in relation to each other (similar to the assassin tracker in Smokin' Aces).

Sunshine (2008 TBD): This is Fox's first picture with true PIP technology. If you don't have a profile 1.1 compatible player, you can watch the PIP files in a full screen mode (they are in standard def so they don't look as good in full screen, but at least you are given the option of still being able to see them). In addition to PIP, you can also change the audio mix. You can pull up a menu that shows the 5 speakers, and select the one that you want the computers voice to come through. Not sure why you would want to change this on the fly, but you can.

Die Hard 4 Special Edition DVD (November 20th): On disc two of the special edition DVD are two windows media copies of the film. On optimized for Windows Plays For Sure devices, and the other optimized for PCs with Windows Media. Both files have DRM and can only be played back on one device. The PC file is 1.5Mb/s while the portable is approx 700Kb/s. The support site will be http://www.foxdigitalcopy.com. There was an indication that WB will also be including something similar on the new Harry Potter release.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Today we will have the opportunity to meet with Brad Bird (director of Ratatouille) and will be heading to Panasonic Labs where they will be unveiling their new DMP-BD30AKplayer. Rumor has it that it will be a BD Live (profile 2.0) player and street for $500. The DMP-BD10A will get a price reduction to $399. I will have more details on this later today.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

What are the differences with 1.1 and 2.0? Perhaps stupid question, but..

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Not a stupid question at all. Profile 1.1 is the new standard for any new models that street on November 1st. Profile 1.1 requires secondary audio and video decoders, and increases the memory from 64k to 265MB (this can be in the player or external flash drive type memory).

Profile 2 is optional and adds network connectivity to the player for web enabled content.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I hate having to buy modern mediocre films to get older quality films (I'm not buying the Spidey Trilogy just to get 1 and 2), and I'm not buying the DH collection just to get the early DH films. Suck it, Blu Ray!!!

I am going to get Sunshine and Master and Commander (how awesome is that going to be on hig def), though. As soon as possible. Can't wait!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Adam, keep us updated on any new players unveiled and whether or not they do DTS-MA decoding. If the DMP-BD30AK is Profile 2.0 AND does DTS-MA decoding, it might be time to sell the PS3.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
"The point" of them is obvious - there are a lot of non-disc-based devices out there that people want to use to watch movies and saying you support them might sell a few more copies of the movie. The trouble is that Fox is apparently choosing the most cumbersome way possible to go about it - trying to exploit the market without embracing it.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I thought that people were getting around that by having the players certified before the end of October, hence not being eligable for the mandatory 1.1.

Of course, having said that, I decided to read around to check this, and the upshot is that no one seems to know for sure. I am planning on buying a 40GB PS3 this weekend, so hope that it really is capable of 1.1.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

There are strong rumors that it´ll be (after firmware update), but nothing has ben confirmed. Let´s hope that we´ll hear more info about this soon.

Lack of 1.1 would be a huge blow to PS3, since so far it has been pretty much perfect (nothing is "perfect" of course, but no real complains and great firmware updates).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
OK I need to clarify that the Panasonic is not 2.0 it is 1.1. And it is expected to start shipping November 12th. MSRP is $499, and it will NOT include any titles in the box.

I overheard someone say last night that it had networking, but Panasonic considers the SD slot to be "HD Networking". There is no ethernet port on the back. On the audio front it does support DD+, TrueHD, DTS HD and DTS HD MA via bitstream only. I have more info that I will post later tonight.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sony wouldn't come out and say that the PS3 is getting an update to 1.1, but they sure hinted at it when ever we asked. Since (to the best of my knowledge) there is no harware to support the PIP they must be planning on using the extra horesepower of the cel processor to come up with a software solution to decode the PIP stream.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I like my Panny 10a but was looking forward to upgrading with a third gen unit. Think I will wait until 2.0 is mandated. I won't buy another player without an ethernet port. Cutting disks to do the almost weekly firmware upgrades these players require is getting old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks