What's new

Blu-Ray DVD Combos (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Anyone know how the sales of the Blu-Ray/DVD Combos are selling compared to Blu-Ray only. I know Disney issued "Sleeping Beauty" with both types of discs - has that marketing plan proved to be successful? If so will the other studios follow suit? I know there are some re-issue titles that I haven't purchased because I'm waiting for the blu ray and see no point in purchasing the new standard DVD.

"Mary Poppins" comes out next week once again as a standard DVD but really I already own a standard DVD of Mary Poppins so I'll pass until a blu -ray comes along. I would guess others feel the same way

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Sleeping Beauty thing wasn't intended to be that clever--they were trying to please SD users who plan to, in the near future, go Blu and therefore don't want to be stuck with a SD that they have to pay to upgrade. In fact, I wish the studios had been doing this all along--having these major releases bundled in both formats. Now that I think about it, it would have saved me a lot of buyers' remorse. Pretty much every SD disc I bought in the year before I got my BluRay player is looked upon with a certain ironic disgust in my house lol;

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I don't see why the studios can't release a title with both Standard DVD and Blu-Ray on one disc - one side for each - that way you still buy the title but you know it will be good for the next ten years or so.

Money is tight now, people aren't going to spend it on something that is only going to be useful for the year or so.

Why buy all these re-issued DVD titles when I could by a Blu-ray - yet SONY releases their best picture box set in standard DVD - WHY???? if they were Blu-Ray I'd re-purchase those titles - but not on Standard DVD only, many of which I already own. (Not to mention the laserdiscs which quickly died when DVD came out)

And if Video on demand was going to be so successful , wouldn't pay-per-view have been successful too?????

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's been around for 15-20 years and is a staple of nearly every cable system in the country. I'd call that success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avery623
Recent bookmarks