What's new

Blu Ray drive for Mac Pro (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve got mine just plugged into the computer via USB. These days I have enough that they actually go into a USB hub and that goes into the computer. Locked away in a cabinet no one ever goes into, so no one has to see the mess of wires and plugs.

I started digitizing my collection just over two years ago and I think with this last drive I will finally have the space to finish!

It’s been a really fun project but also eye opening in how much “stuff” I have that doesn’t regularly get watched. I’m actually thinking once it’s done, I’ll start weeding through, deleting some files and selling/giving away the actual discs for those titles.

I’ve also loved having the ability to make Frankenstein files, like taking the video from a new Blu-ray restoration and adding a commentary track that was only on the DVD version. That’s been pretty neat.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Time and effort.

No guarantee it’s a Red NAS drive. Used to be in a specific line of WD. Maybe not anymore.

Formally, no warranty having pulled from case.

But practically, no downside besides the time and effort. At least when I did it.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Here's a reddit thread about the Best Buy WD 14TB.

For a backup drive I've been looking at a 16TB Seagate internal drive that has a 5 year warranty. It's about $120 more than the WD on sale, but I feel like that cost savings is not worth the shucking time and effort and potential warranty voiding.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I kinda wish I had physical space in my HTPC and needed more capacity just so I could go buy and shuck a 14TB drive. :D

But my disc buying has slowed dramatically and I’ve got several TB free space after adding the 8TB drive two years ago.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I am planning to shuck one of mine whose warranty ends at the end of the month, and going to put it in a 4 bay enclosure that I'm using for a JBOD. So I'll get my fill of that kind of tinkering soon.

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Shucked the drive I mentioned previously. It was fairly simple and took about 15 minutes. My main concern was whether it would have the 3.3V power issue, but I put it into my four bay enclosure and it mounted fine. Now to move some files around and retire my 1.5TB (!) drive.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Shucked the drive I mentioned previously. It was fairly simple and took about 15 minutes. My main concern was whether it would have the 3.3V power issue, but I put it into my four bay enclosure and it mounted fine. Now to move some files around and retire my 1.5TB (!) drive.
I taped the pin (albeit with packing tape instead of proper kapton because I don't have any), just to be safe. That was the most painful part.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What pin? Is it a contact pin for power or alignment pin? Why does the pin need to be taped?
You’ll have to lookin the Reddit forums on shucking to get the details. My vague recollection is there’s a pin that works in a case, but can’t be enabled when used as a raw drive. So you tape it off so it’s not activated and enables the drive to work. It’s not a universal thing. But I took the time up front to tape it, so I didn’t have to potentially installed, have a problem, uninstall tape, and reinstall. For me, upfront cost was easier than possible rework cost. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Cameron, that clearly illustrates the pin! That video shows the PC board traces. I thought it was literally one of those pin connector. ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dennisgordan
Recent bookmarks