What's new

Blu Ray drive for Mac Pro (3 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ll try to take a look later. I think I split the chapters back into individual episodes when I did the rips but I’ll see if I can figure out how to translate that timecode into something I can examine.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ll try to take a look later. I think I split the chapters back into individual episodes when I did the rips but I’ll see if I can figure out how to translate that timecode into something I can examine.
Josh, It's the very beginning of Chapter 3 (or Part 3) the quick prologue info right before the Wonderful World of Color main credits, where the Scarecrow is talking to his men.

SRM.jpg

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Someone responded to my post on the MAKEMKV forum, stating they have reproduced the same error, and that they "also created an MKV with another program and can confirm that the audio dropout is not present, as well as when played directly off the disc. Only when creating MKVs with MakeMKV."

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Occasionally I have come across makemkv dropping segments. What is the exact algorithm doing this, can only be inferred if one doesn't have access to the original source code of makemkv.

When I played back these particular *.mkv files with dropped segments, some video/audio was missing that was present on the original dvd.

So makemkv is not simply a passive repackaging of video/audio streams into an mkv container.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If you demand absolute accuracy in the video/audio data being repackaged into an mkv container, you would have to find another program which does this.

Another option is to look up the technical specifications details of the mkv container and also the details of mpeg2 and other video codecs, and write your own program which does a simple repackaging of such video/audio/subtitles mpeg2 streams into a mkv container.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My issue was resolved by using a different app, DVD Audio Extractor, which I can extract to .OGG, among other formats.

I'm going to try it on some of my DVD Audio discs now.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rodney, I don’t have that disc or have experienced the problem you are experiencing yet. I hope you can resolve it.

I thought I‘d post about something I’m thinking about. While I do have a 4K capable Oppo player, I do not have a 4K UHD display yet. I’m kind of looking into them and generally getting educated on the displays out there.

I started to think about the possibility of ripping 4K UHD Blu Rays. What I’m thinking is that doing UHD discs, assuming my drive can read them, is the file sizes will be massive. So I bet these rips would require a hard wired connection from the computer to the streaming device, in my case an Apple TV, as wifi might not be able to handle it. At least my current set-up! :)

I’m disappointed that some new 4K UHD blu ray releases do not include a blu ray with the new 4K UHD. Seems many new UHD titles coming out that includes a blu ray, it’s the same older blu ray and not a new blu ray using the new master used for the UHD. I mention this because I’d rather rip the blu ray then the UHD disc. For my current set-up, it would be great to use the newest mastering for a standard blu ray. For film series like Indiana Jones, I’ll have to use my older Blu Rays as I hear the new 4K releases will not include a new blu ray. Same with The Ten Commandments and many others.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to rip and playback the UHD files! It will be interesting when the time comes when I can try a rip and see if it can be played back. Maybe my concerns are unfounded about the file sizes and playback without pauses and stuttering.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, I may not have explained very well. I said in the last paragraph above I did not necessarily say I didn’t want to use the highest resolution disc. I would be very interested in trying a MKV rip.

I’m wondering what a 4K UHD MKV file will be size wise. I’m sure it will be very large. And since there is a lot more data in the video file, in my current set-up of one very old Apple Airport wifi base station, I would bet that trying to stream the UHD file from the server to the Apple TV would result in a very poor experience. My guess it would be stuttering. So for now, ripping a standard blu ray works in my system. And they looks great on my 1080 plasma.

Eventually, maybe later this year, I might actually upgrade my display to a 4K display. I’ve been trying to gather more intelligence on the sets out there right now. And if I want to stream the 4K rips, I’ll have to see about a new wifi MESH system to better cover my home’s needs.

Another question I wondered is if one does do a 4K UHD rip from a UHD blu ray, is there a tool that might allow one to down rez the file for better streaming or for non 4K sets.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I started to think about the possibility of ripping 4K UHD Blu Rays. What I’m thinking is that doing UHD discs, assuming my drive can read them, is the file sizes will be massive. So I bet these rips would require a hard wired connection from the computer to the streaming device, in my case an Apple TV, as wifi might not be able to handle it. At least my current set-up! :)

They're about double a blu-ray rip. Blu-rays are ~25 GB. 4K are ~50GB. You can have both versions in your library and select which one to play. I do this now for futureproofing for when I've got a 4k projector.
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.22.20 PM.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave, thanks for posting that info. So someone on the forum has tried a 4K rip! I’ll be curious how it plays when you play that file too.

I’ll have to give it a try and see if my drive can read the disc.

Thank you Dave!

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hey Dave, thanks for posting that info. So someone on the forum has tried a 4K rip! I’ll be curious how it plays when you play that file too.

Thank you Dave!
I haven't really tried playing them since my projector is HD and my AppleTV's are HD. But I've got two 4K TVs with built in Emby apps, so I can give it a go sometime.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Someone responded to my post on the MAKEMKV forum, stating they have reproduced the same error, and that they "also created an MKV with another program and can confirm that the audio dropout is not present, as well as when played directly off the disc. Only when creating MKVs with MakeMKV."

Rodney I’m so sorry I haven’t had a chance to look into this for you yet. I’m glad you were able to find an answer :)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thank you Dave!

Nelson, I guess you forgot our earlier conversation in August of last year where I talked about ripping my first 4K rip in this thread:

I tried my first UHD disc yesterday. I had to patch the firmware on the external blu-ray drive, a BP60NB10. The only issue I came across was that I had to attach it to a Windows machine to do it (though I read that a virtualized Windows machine would have worked on the Mac). After patching, I re-attached the drive to my Mac and was able to rip Unforgiven. I then moved the file to my Synology/Plex Server, and using Infuse on my AppleTV it came across as 4K (BT.2020 HDR) Woo-hoo!

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MakeMKV supports Dolby Vision as of sometime 2020, maybe September. Likewise, Plex, Emby, etc. also support DV now IIUC. There are quirks and caveats. But check the forums for details, you may now be able to get DV from your HTPC system.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Rodney! I did indeed forget about your post that you ripped a UHD disc! Thanks for the reminder. I re-read your posts about it. That’s great you had success with the rip!

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did a quick try playing a couple minutes of Knives Out in UHD with the Atmos track on my Sony 950H using the TV’s Emby app. Worked fine, played smooth, and the audio came through. My LG TV can’t handle the Atmos track with its app.

(I don’t know if it was handling HDR or Dolby Vision. I’m not that smart on 4K and don’t watch 4K material yet, so I haven’t tried to figure that out.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Dave. Were you streaming the 4K from the server to your TV by wifi? Didn’t want to assume that.

My system is not Atmos capable. Maybe I’ll have to consider that upgrade too.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ethernet.

I preserve all English audio tracks, including Atmos. So it’s available even if I’m in a room that doesn’t have Atmos speakers.

HDR and Dolby Vision are there UHD stuff I’m really unsure about with HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fadilale
Recent bookmarks