Blu Ray drive for Mac Pro

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I tried my first UHD disc yesterday. I had to patch the firmware on the external blu-ray drive, a BP60NB10. The only issue I came across was that I had to attach it to a Windows machine to do it (though I read that a virtualized Windows machine would have worked on the Mac). After patching, I re-attached the drive to my Mac and was able to rip Unforgiven. I then moved the file to my Synology/Plex Server, and using Infuse on my AppleTV it came across as 4K (BT.2020 HDR) Woo-hoo!

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Hi Rodney- that’s great news you got we’re able to make and MKV file from a UHD blu ray! I was thinking the file size must be huge!

Since my drive can read UHD discs, at some point i’ll try it. But it’s good to know you could only do it via Windows. I’ll try it on my to see if it works before going to Windows. :)

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Wow, I looked at this thread and realized I started it a year ago. Time flies, especially in a Pandemic. In reviewing the early posts in this thread, I can see I personally made quite a Trek of this effort to learn more about the hardware needed to convert Blu Rays and DVD discs to digital files learned about Plex and Infuse streaming from my computer. I’ve done three complete TV series so far and continue to rip others a bit at a time, I’m really enjoying the ability to bring up a TV show and watch an episode a day. It’s been great during this pandemic and I’ll have to keep it up for more episodes. I’ve been ripping a few more movies too and did my first Criterion title, with the extras too.

Hardware wise, the Pioneer drive is still working fine and I am keeping it going through the Mac via some little work arounds so the drive is continuing to be recognized by the OS. Reviewing this thread reminded me of the side effort to figure out the issues I was having with WiFi, and getting the Apple Airport to send the signal to the other side of the house. I learned about the range issues with wifi and that walls get in the way. :). So far, it’s still all working, albeit with some short lag while a file initially loads when in Apple TV using Infuse. It’s not a big deal right now.

Though yesterday I sort of had a short pang of what it might be like to have a drug addiction problem. Late in the afternoon while I was working at my home office desk, I noticed a text message come in on my iPhone that had an odd delay and I then notice my iPhone tell me the WiFi was not working and it asked me if I wanted to use cellular. Upon checking the PC and the desktop Macs, both could not get on the Internet. I had a short amount of panic thinking, if the Internet isn’t working, how will Plex still work and could I stream something later in the evening! So that had me thinking, does Plex need access to the internet to work. I had not considered that before. Luckily a few minutes later, the Internet was back. There must have been some short interruption from the ISP or the modem had a hiccup. I figured Plex needs to see the title information from the internet databases so it can display the right artwork and titles.

So far this has been a great fun experience and journey and I greatly appreciate all the members who posted here to help me and share in our experiences. Thank You!

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
But it’s good to know you could only do it via Windows. I’ll try it on my to see if it works before going to Windows. :)
To be clear, I only had to use a Windows machine to apply a firmware patch on the UHD drive itself. I did the actual rip with MAKEMKV on my Mac to create the file. The end file itself (just the movie) is 57.87 GB.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Rodney- thank you for the clarification on the need to apply a Firmware patch to the drive via a Windows machine.

Your MKV file size for Unforgiven isn’t as big as I imagined at 57.87 GB. That’s not bad. I checked for the largest MKV file size I’ve converted from standard blu ray and that would be 44.41 GB for 2001: A Space Odyssey. Out of curiosity, I looked for the smallest file size for an MKV file I have and it would be the 1968 film, Bullitt clocking in at 15.37 GB. So two blu ray movies could fit in the space for one UHD MKV file. ;)

Of course, On hour TV show episodes from blu ray are smaller.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddie O. L.