Blu Ray drive for Mac Pro

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I want to thank you Nelson, for creating this thread. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have even tried this without the insight from everyone posting here.
I'm sure there is a lot more I need to learn as I keep adding my DVDs, Blu-rays, and TiVo downloads to my Plex Media Server.

Reactions: Cameron Yee

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Anyone needs more storage, this is the best price this drive goes on sale for, as of the past six to twelve months, I believe. It hits this price every couple months so it's not a do-or-die sale. I think the 8TB version might also be on sale.

I've got the 8TB "shucked" and in my HTPC. I've been wanting to buy the 10TB as a true backup to my RAID. My RAID is about four years old, which means I'm entering the realm of possible drive failure. And I've concluded I'm never re-ripping all my discs. So I'm burning another $180 on this silly hobby for insurance.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The 12tb in that line has gone down to that price a couple times; I’ve purchased both times I noticed they were onsale.

Reactions: DaveF

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
The 12TB is on sale very close $/TB to the 10TB price. I’ve never seen the 12 down at $180; I’d have bought it if I’d found that.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I too have been gradually shifting to higher capacity external hard drives.

I still keep my older 4TB drives around, to use with my older equipment such as a western digital wdtv device. Recently my father has been using my old wdtv box to look at photos and old family home videos on the living room tv.

I have noticed my newer external hard drives larger than 4TB, do not work at all on this wdtv box.

For other older equipment which can read flash drives, it turns out they only know how to read older flash drives from 5-10 years ago in fat32 format. They don't know how to read newer higher capacity flash drives.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Interesting about the Western Digital drive prices. I checked Other World Computing, and the Toshiba internal 12TB drive I bought late last year is on sale now.

i wanted to be sure I understood you post Dave, I guess you didn’t really mean Best Buy has a 12TB WD drive at $180, you just meant if you did find one, you’d have bought it. I see it at Best Buy’s site at $219.99 right now. That less then the Toshiba at OWC.

I’ll have to ponder that one. Another drive would be nice, though I haven’t filled my drive yet.

I’ve also been wondering that hard drives are still mechanical and could wear out. So I wondered if someday flash memory would be cheaper to use as large storage devices. I’m sure someday that will happen.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Yes. Josh indicated that he's seen the 12TB for $180. I've never seen that. But $/TB, the 12TB is priced only slightly higher than the 10TB right now. These drives go on sale now and again. If you don't need the storage right now, you can wait. They'll likely be on sale again later when you need it. And eventually, prices will reduce further or capacity will increase further. These drives are twice the capacity and 75% the price I paid for my 5TB RED drives in 2016. If I were starting today, I'd probably buy 3x12TB drives, shuck them, and build a RAID from that. Would last me forever.

With the caveat... What I haven't looked into is whether these are CMR or SMR drives. Given the prices and the target market of SOHO for these easystores, they probably are SMR. I've got one in my RAID already. It's been fine for my use so far.

But there's a kerfuffle over WD silently using SMR drives for their RED NAS line. And SMR (reportedly) has limitations that make it not well suited for NAS and RAID use. If I were to decided to expand my RAID further, I'd have to research if these WD easystore are SMR drives, and whether to spend more to buy known CMR drives from WD or Seagate accordingly.

But for the purposes of getting a bunch of external storage connected by USB, these are just fine AFAIK.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
I've probably said this before: if a single 8TB to 12TB drive holds everything you've got for the immediate future, then you're good.

But IMO when you need a second drive to hold your media storage, I think it's time to get a RAID / NAS.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
David- when I first got into this, I did look at a NAS as you recommended. It’s still an option.

So far, I’ve only converted 42 movies. I’ve ripped the entire Star Trek TOS and TNG series Blu Rays, the DVD of 3 sitcoms and I’ve used just under 5 TB now on the 12 TB drive. My Mac Pro has the capacity to install 4 hard drives. My plan is to replace the start up drive with a 1 TB SSD, and keep the 12TB drive in there for the media. I could install a second 12TB drive, or like you said, consider the NAS option then I could take the burden off my older Mac that’s not running the most current Mac OS X.

Theres another thing I’m sort of struggling with. I like your idea of shucking a drive. And I read the article you sent me the link to last year. As I recall, the article said those external drives are spec’d out such that they are usually pretty robust so they should be able to stand up to a lot of use. For my first time outing, I was fine to purchase a more expensive internal drive from OWC that’s a high spec drive for internal use. I was told the drive I picked was one of their top performers as they’ve had no or very few failures. Maybe I bought the Kool-Aid. I just didn’t want a drive to fail. So if I do buy another drive, I was leaning on the same drive from OWC. For now as you say, I have a little time to wait. I’ll be ripping a few more films and TV shows.

Last night I was watching a movie I just converted and I was thinking, this is really an amazing time. We can watch a movie from a disc that is converted to a digital file and use software to play to a TV and it had all the sound options too.

Thomas Newton

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
(Deleted. I just noticed that this was a resurrection of a 2019 thread.)

Rodney

Effects Supervisor
Premium
I'm in the midst of ripping my television show DVDs, not in any particular order, and yesterday decided to do the Spider-Man '67 animated series. It came out with just one file for each disc, as they have each episode as its own chapter. I recalled that @DaveF had explained about using MKVToolNIX, so I thought I would give it a shot. Wow, this was a lot easier than I thought. I drag and dropped the single file into the window, selected before chapters in the splits mode, and away it went, creating a separate file for each chapter. I then just named them the proper episode number for Plex and copied them to my Synology. I was extremely happy on how easy that was.

I then decided to try something else with it. I have the wonderful ClassicFlix Blu of He Walked By Night, but it doesn't have this great commentary by Alain Silver and James Ursini that was on the Pendragon DVD. I had previously handbraked that documentary so I could listen to it while driving, so I took that file and dropped both into MKVToolNIX, and ran it through. Now I have a great copy of the movie with the commentary that I can enjoy without having to resort watching the lower grade DVD. This tool is amazing. I am having a blast right now.

Reactions: DaveF

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Great to hear you solved a problem with MKVToolNix! It’s a brilliant program. I last used it last to extract audio from YouTube songs, and then shave the last 30 seconds of promo material, to make them audio songs for my iTunes library (and ffmpeg’d them to convert MKA to AAC for listening on an ancient iPod nano).

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
It's a great tool to have in your HTPC toolkit. My experience is generally, if I'm wondering if I can do ____ to make a media file work better with my needs, usually some combo of MKVToolNix, FFMPEG, and Handbrake will get it done. :)

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Dave, when I have some time to try it and learn how to use it, i will! I just got the new Criterion The War of the Worlds and I'd like to extract the two audio only extras, the 1938 radio broadcast and a 1940 radio show with Orson Welles and HG Wells. That will make for fun listening on the iPod or iPhone.

DaveF

Real Name
Dave
Dave, when I have some time to try it and learn how to use it, i will! I just got the new Criterion The War of the Worlds and I'd like to extract the two audio only extras, the 1938 radio broadcast and a 1940 radio show with Orson Welles and HG Wells. That will make for fun listening on the iPod or iPhone.

The first two steps are relevant to you. The third step, export to Overcast, probably isn't. But I do suggest getting it into a podcast player or audiobook player, as iTunes is lousy for spoken word material.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link! I used FFmpeg a few years ago for converting audio file formats.

Would you believe that I had converted the entire Star Trek series on DVD with Handbrake a few years ago and then created audio files so I could listen to the episodes while I was stuck in traffic. I played them on an iPod classic to my car’s audio system. But I get it might be better to convert the radio show to a podcast. I’ve never done that before so we’ll see. :)

My car’s factory radio’s display went dead, so I replaced it with a new one that has CarPlay functionality. That makes my 2001 year car a 2020 car! So it would be cool to see how to make the audio files work.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForsyDia