1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu Ray drive for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Nelson Au, Aug 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Interesting Josh. This was the first failure I’ve experienced doing the MakeMKV process. I’ll give it another try and see if I can get past the failure. Maybe a different drive too could push past it. I’ll check the disc on my Oppo blu ray player too. Maybe it’s an encoding error thing when the disc was made.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’ve had trouble with a few discs. Mostly, they were dirty and smudged. A quick cleaning fixed it. Maybe one was physical damage that couldn’t be overcome. Another was burned (bootleg) discs (bought unwittingly), and my drive can’t read those near-black discs.

3. Nelson Au

Thanks Dave, a friend suggested wiping down the disc too in case it was dirty. Though I’ve never touched the surface of my discs, I’ll give it a cleaning anyway.

4. Nelson Au

Another thing I’ve been pondering how to do is the Looney Tunes shorts. I have the Platinum Edition blu rays volumes 1 to 3 and the Golden Collection volume DVDs. I saw in the Plex forums a guy who wrote a program that sorted out a way to make those shorts work with Plex. I was hoping to avoid that but first I’ll try a few rips and see what happens.

There’s one entry in the MovieDB for the Looney Tunes Volume 1 and that’s it.

May I try what Josh is doing and create a fake TV series.

5. Message #385 of 388 Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Nelson Au

Guys, I’ve retagged Star Trek The Next Generation Encounter At Farpoint as s01e01-e02. It shows as two episodes now in Plex. But something odd, the second Encounter when played has two options to play, and one is the episode Haven! Oh well, I’ll figure it out as there is for some reason a second copy of Datalore labeled as episode 0 and I didn’t even do that. I think there some cleaning up I need to do with how the files are placed in the folders to fix this.

I also was not able to rip the other episode that failed, I tried a second time after cleaning the surface on the disc. Since I have two discs, one in the original set and the replacement discs from Paramount for discs, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for the corrected audio, I used the other discs with faulty audio and that disc worked. The episode was The Big Goodbye. I’ll keep at it and complete the first season today and get going on the next two seasons if I can. I want to see Measure Of A Man as it connects to Picard.

Part of me is tempted to re-buy the first season blu ray set just to see if the disc with The Big Goodbye will work. But that’s silly. :)

6. Nelson Au

I had a little time yesterday and tried to make MKV files of Star Trek The Next Generation Season Three. And by the way, I managed to rip The Big Goodbye from Season One using the original disc I have rather then the replacement disc.

I started with the first disc of the third season set, one out of the 5 episode failed to copy. It was The Survivors and I tried cleaning the disc, and that didn’t work. I restarted the computer and it still failed to make an MKV file. I checked the MakeMKV forums and I found several posts from people having trouble with Star Trek TOS and TNG. It seems they feel the disc has errors and it’s a problem with the disc. This is really unfortunate. I’m curious Josh if the failed episodes for you match the ones I’m finding are failing.

I have a feeling if I had another copy of the season three disc, it might actually work due to variances in quality of these discs. But I don’t know, just guessing.

7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Here’s my list of what didn’t work for me, I think it’s complete - wasn’t as tragic as I thought but I’m still annoyed. I borrowed a friend’s drive and they failed on there too.

-Encounter at Farpoint (S1, D1)
    -The Naked Now (S1, D1)
    -Code of Honor (S1, D1)
    -Stardate Revisited Part 3 Bonus Feature (S1, D6)
    -Icarus Factor Deleted Scene (S2)
    -Evolution (S3, D1)
    -Ensigns Of Command (S3, D1)
    -Mission Overview Bonus Feature (S3, D1)
    -Best of Both Worlds Part 2 (S4, D1)
    -Future Imperfect (S4, D2)
    -Final Mission (S4, D2)

8. Nelson Au

Thanks Josh! That‘s fewer episodes then I imagined. And you’re list of failed episodes don’t match mine. This is really annoying!