What's new

UHD Blu ray discs with UHD sets (1 Viewer)

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I don't really want/need the Blu Ray disc that comes in a UHD set, but I would like to have all the extras that often come on a second Blu Ray disc - eg the 3 disc Blu Ray release of Star Trek. Having double dipped to get the UHD set here, there's only the extras on the 'film' disc, and no second disc.

As the UHD set is usually only £5 more than the Blu Ray release, I would rather have an extras disc or no Blu Ray at all - and then perhaps the UHD price could come down for some releases to reflect this!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, I think the inclusion of the blu-ray is to justify the higher pricing, but really isn't the cause of it. In short, the studios always intended to charge that extra $5.00 whether there is an extra disc or not.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I like getting both right now, I let my father in law watch the 1080p version. That being said, I'd be totally fine with a UHD only cheaper version, because I don't even keep the cases. All my discs go into case logic binders.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like getting both right now, I let my father in law watch the 1080p version. That being said, I'd be totally fine with a UHD only cheaper version, because I don't even keep the cases. All my discs go into case logic binders.
If only I believed that would be a true outcome.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The cost to author and press a second disc of the same extras that appear on the Blu-ray version compared to just including the Blu-ray version (with the same extras) is much more expensive than you might think.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There are the Wal-Mart exclusive UHD-only sets that came out recently at a much cheaper price. I picked up the Expendables set (3 films) for $23 and the Now You See Me set (2 films) for $18.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just wondering, why can't they put the extras on the 4K discs as well? If there is room for them on the Blu-ray copy then I would think there would be room for them on the 4K disc too. But right now the combo pack serves the same purpose that it did in the early days of Blu-ray/DVD: Future proofing for those who haven't upgraded yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks