What's new

Blu-ray Discs with MPEG4 or VC1 Encoding ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Does anyone here know when we might see MPEG4 or VC1 encoded Blu-ray discs available. Are there any articles or links that provide any information on when these discs will be on store shelves? I truely would like to see Blu-ray be sucessful but if there are not going to be any high quality Blu-ray releases I will find it hard to spend $1k on a player.

If there is no HQ Blu-ray discs then I guess I can allways get an HD-DVD player. :cool:

Any information would be greatly welcome.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There must be some news on VC-1 encoded Blu-ray discs. Also I would hope someone here would have a way to find out if there will be any way to tell if a disc is VC-1?

I will be purchasing a Toshiba HD-DVD player next month and I plan on having at least 9 titles to enjoy the day I bring it home. As for Blu-ray goes, I keep seeing the discs in the store and I would like to start buying titles. But as long as Blu-ray titles are MPEG2 encoded, there will be no purchasing of Blu-ray disc for now. I only hope that they will identify VC-1 encoded discs as it will help sell titles. At least for the consumers that stop buying Blu-ray disc because of the MPEG2 issue.

I would like to see this thread get some input as I am willing to bet that this issue is a concern to many here in this forum!

Christian P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested as well.
If I go for HD, I want the best PQ I can get. If there won't be non-MPEG2 BluRay discs soon, I'll go with HD-DVD.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not sure, but I don't believe this information is printed on the cases. At least is doesn't seem to be on HD DVD cases.

But for any particular title that has been released, this information can typically be found pretty easily online (by asking here or at AVS).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks