1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robin9, Jul 18, 2012.

1. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
  2. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Summertime should be 1.85.

3. Message #1023 of 1187 Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Doff Hat

Doff Hat Auditioning

Tim
    I see High Noon has been re-released in 2017 by Alive filmjuwelen in Germany:

https://www.amazon.de/12-Uhr-mittags-High-Blu-ray/dp/B01NBI9YZM/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1524300189&sr=1-2&keywords=high+noon

Does this use the newer 4k master used by the Olive Signature edition from 2016? I can't see anything advertising as such on the packaging photo or details so I'm thinking probably not. In which case, is the Olive Signature still the best to go for?

Even so, anyone know if the new Alive version is any different to the Studio Canal release from 2013?

4. Message #1024 of 1187 Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    A John Wayne/Janet Leigh film that I've never seen is released on May 24th, Jet Pilot (1957, although it seems it was filmed seven years earlier).

https://www.amazon.de/Jet-Pilot-Düsenjäger-John-Wayne/dp/B07B5Y6PRP/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1524234434&sr=1-1&keywords=jet+pilot

Also, way ahead on June 29th, two fifties 'scope Fox war films: "The Hunters" (1958) staring Robert Mitchum & Robert Wagner & set in Korea, & "D-Day The Sixth Of June" (1956) staring Robert Taylor.

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/kampfflieger-the-hunters-blu-ray-disc

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/d-day-the-sixth-of-june-zwischen-himmel-und-hoelle-blu-ray-disc

Robin9 likes this.
  5. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    JET PILOT was originally directed by Von Sternberg in 1950-51, though Howard Hughes reshot and fussed over it for seven years. When it was finally released, the critics at the time determined that there was little or no Von Sternberg left in it, and very little quality at that. However, I saw a 35mm print projected in Academy ratio at MOMA in the late 70's, and really liked the film.

The plot is kind of NINOTCHKA meets Frank Tashlin's cartoon PLANE DAFFY. Janet Leigh is a Russian fighter pilot who defects to the West and marries John Wayne. There are a number of scenes of them out flying their jet planes with imagery of the two planes coming together that is definitely sexualized on a very cartoon level. (I imagine that was Howard Hughes' contribution to the film.)

There are also some very interesting uses of color and composition that definitely looks like Von Sternberg to me. For example, the first time John Wayne and Janet Leigh kiss, they are standing at an intersection, and the colors of the traffic light washes over their faces, first red, when Ms. Leigh refuses to kiss him, then yellow, and finally green, when they meet in an embrace. Also, at one point Janet Leigh is stretched out on a bed wearing an outfit of brightly colored Chinoiserie, and the way she is lit is somewhat evocative of Dietrich in SHANGHAI EXPRESS.

Anyway, JET PILOT was released on DVD about 10 years ago as part of a John Wayne multi-disc set. I bought it chiefly in order to see JET PILOT again. However, the film was enhanced for widescreen, so that the sequences I really liked, such as the traffic light kiss, were not in the right ratio, and the faces were zoomed in so closely that the colors from the traffic light was on the very bottom of the screen.

Anyway, my recommendation is; If JET PILOT is in standard ratio, by all means snap it up. It's not perfect, but very interesting, and I've never seen Janet Leigh photographed so beautifully. However, if the Blu is in widescreen, I would pass. Even though I really like this film, the compositions were all off and it was hard for me to watch.

6. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    I have been waiting for The Hunters on Blu-ray. I thought Twilight Time might have put it out by now. I'll be picking this up. Thanks for the info.
    1. [​IMG]

Jeff Flugel and Simon Lewis like this.
  7. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
  8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Now if only they'd give us that "Far Country" release they promised a year ago! :)

bubuwest and RMajidi like this.
  9. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
  10. Message #1030 of 1187 Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin

Welcome to HTF, Tim.

I don’t know the answer to your question, and was hoping someone in the know would reply to you, but I see that hasn’t happened yet.

As a fan of High Noon, I’m also interested to know whether the Alive release sports the latest transfer or not.

I can tell you that Alive is also releasing a limited edition on May 11, with a similar cover to the Olive Signature edition (I have both Olive versions). However, whether this upcoming release is the same as Alive’s release from last year, or either of Olive’s, I couldn’t tell you.

If you do manage to glean more info regarding either of these Alive releases, then please share.

Here’s the link to the upcoming May release:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07B5Y8S61/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1

11. Doff Hat

Doff Hat Auditioning

Tim
    Not to worry, at least the question kick-started some other interesting release updates on this thread!

I did see that 2018 Alive Limited Edition of High Noon listed, and wondered myself about it having similar cover art to the Olive signature edition, but I figured it was probably just repackaging the 2017 blu-ray with the DVD along with a special booklet. A German language booklet is not much use to me, of course, but you'd think if they were going to this much trouble with a limited edition they would also get hold of the new 4K master. If it is that then the question is whether the 2017 blu-ray is the same disc. Then again it could just be a crafty move using the same cover artwork as the Olive Signature to give the automatic impression it is same new master.

I would prefer to get region B, but it may be worth me getting the Olive (Signature) edition anyway as it frames at 1.37:1. Amazon.de user reviews of the Alive 2017, as well as the online spec, state a framing of 1.33:1 like the ARTHAUS Studio Canal edition. Here's the product page from Alive's website (google translate page may be required):
    http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?page=artikel&ArtikelNr=6417378

No mention of 4K on there. A user reviewer on Amazon.de has posted some photos including the back cover, and zooming in I can't see any mention of 4K on there either.

Alive's limited edition page also makes no mention of 4K or newer master. It also states a 1.33:1 ratio:
    http://www.alive-ag.de/index.php?page=artikel&ArtikelNr=6418475

Don't know how much those descriptions can be trusted though, as they both state DTS HD 5.1, but Amazon.de user reviewers are saying this is incorrect and the 2017 disc is DTS-HD MA 2.0 - like the Studio Canal and Olive Signature releases. Zooming into that back cover photo, I think I can just make out through the blurriness that it says 2.0 as well.

Brent Reid and RMajidi like this.
  12. Hank E

Hank E Stunt Coordinator

13. moviefanatic1979

moviefanatic1979 Stunt Coordinator

Even
    [​IMG]
    Apache (1954)

I've ordered this Blu-ray.

I believe this was shot for projection in the 1.37:1 ratio.
    The Blu contains two versions: 1.33:1 & 16:9
    This comparison shows that the academy version looks almost exactly like the UK DVD:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11971&d2=11969&s1=118147&s2=118139&i=0&l=0

Comparing academy to widescreen version on the Blu-ray disc, the widescreen wins by a mile both in sharpness and color intensity:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=11970&d2=11971&s1=118131&s2=118147&i=0&l=0

The widescreen adds a big chunk of picture info on the left side and a little less on the right.

I believe the widescreen version to be a bastardized picture, but it looks the best and should be a good compromise which looks great on the TV screen.

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Jimbo64 and moviefanatic1979 like this.
  15. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
  16. moviefanatic1979

moviefanatic1979 Stunt Coordinator

Even
    I watched the german Blu-ray of Apache (1954) (Massai) tonight.

It looks very colorful. It could've been sharper but it's no Cinemascope or Panavision movie.
    It says it's in 1.85:1 on the back.
    With no overscan on my TV it looks more like 1.75:1 with narrow black bars on the sides.
    That's to say it's not completely in the 1.77:1 or 1.78:1 (16:9) format.

The disc comes heartily recommended!

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  17. david hare

david hare Second Unit

david hare
    It is, sadly once again croppped to 2.00:1 in the German disc. THe last time it was released in its ideal 1.37 ratio was the Universal Laserdisc 24 years ago. I am sure Universal will argue with you that it "has to be" in the wide Hughes ratio, ignoring the fact Sernberg filmed it in 1950 and Hughes did all the other aerial rubbish years later (down to the jet stream wolf whistles on the soundtrack.) It may be Cold War Camp but it's still a Jo movie, adn the close ups in particular are gorgeously lit.

moviefanatic1979 and lark144 like this.
  18. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I am certainly not a champion of IMDB for accuracy, but they do list a OAR of 1.37:1 for SUMMERTIME. I own this Blu-ray and it looks perfectly framed to me -- no excess headroom, etc.

demy likes this.
  19. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Sorry to hear that. Well, I still have my memories. Of course the funny thing is that at the time Universal was releasing all these 1:85:1 composed films on DVD in 1:33:1, but when they finally released JET PILOT which was originally composed for 1:37:1, they release it in 2:00:1. Go figure.

20. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Summertime is 1.85 and the imdb is, as is frequently the case, wrong. The transfer you're watching may be zoomed in.

Jimbo64 likes this.