What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Two more 20th Century Fox titles are about to be released on Blu-ray disc in France: The Black Rose (Henry Hathaway/Jack Cardiff)

Black Rose, The.jpg

and Prince Of Foxes.(Henry King/Leon Shamroy)

Prince Of Foxes.jpg

If there is no sub-title issue, I'll buy these. Both films have a first-class director and a superb cinematographer.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Am I right in fearing that the French Blu ray of 'Le Bossu' with Daniel Auteuil carries only French subtitles?

According to Amazon.fr that is correct. They're usually pretty good at letting us know if it includes English subtitles though I did have one instance of ordering a title that the site said had English subtitles and when it arrived, the disc had no English subtitles, just the original French soundtrack. I did get a refund.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
TENDER IS THE NIGHT looks fantastic in the new blu ray from France. It has to be a new restoration . Removable French subtitles.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
TENDER IS THE NIGHT looks fantastic in the new blu ray from France. It has to be a new restoration . Removable French subtitles.
It's also Zone-free. I had a brief preview yesterday using my Zone A Blu-ray player.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ragtime (1981) has been released in France, & there's been some good things said about it over at blu-ray.com. It's seems it looks good, no forced subs & it plays in region A players.

https://www.amazon.fr/Ragtime-Blu-ray-James-Cagney/dp/B07MPK2DY9/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3TVFJWMDECUYT&keywords=ragtime+blu-ray&qid=1555234302&s=dvd&sprefix=ragtime,aps,141&sr=1-5-catcorr

God, how I love this forum! Thanks, Billy. BTW...Roger Corman's excellent THE INTRUDER with William Shatner has also been released in France on Blu.

https://www.amazon.fr/Intruder-Blu-...ords=the+intruder&qid=1555591523&s=dvd&sr=1-2

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just watched the simply wonderful La Fin du jour (The End of Day), Region Free, 4K restoration. From Julien Duvivier, released in 1939. Highly recommended.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Finally bought Le Desordre et la nuit on blu ray. What a fabulous film this is, wonderful performances from Jean Gabin and especially the luminous Nadja Tiller.
Yes, I've had that film for a while and watched it a few times. Visually, it's absolutely stunning. I was especially pleased by the fact that Hazel Scott has a featured role in the film. She was a virtuoso jazz pianist who was featured in RHAPSODY IN BLUE, but was apparently blacklisted due to her support for the civil rights movement and moved to France. She only plays the piano for a few moments, but she does sing a few tunes in French and interacts with Gabin and Ms. Tiller.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've gotten many great French movies on blu ray from Amazon.fr and all with English subtitles too!:

L'Affaire Maurizius (The Maurizius Affair) (1954) Daniel Gelin, Madeleine Robinson
Aristocrates (The Aristocrats) (1955) Pierre Fresnay, Brigitte Auber
Assassin Habite Au 21 (The Murderer Lives At Number 21) (1942) Pierre Fresnay, Suzy Delair
Belle Equipe (They Were Five) (1936) Jean Gabin, Charles Vanel
Le Bonheur (1934) Charles Boyer, Gaby Morlay
Carnet De Bal (1937) Francoise Rosay, Louis Jouvet
Histoire Simple (A Simple Story) (1978) Romy Schneider, Claude Brasseur
L'Africain (1983) Cathrine Deneuve, Philippe Noiret
L'Etrange Monsieur Steve (1957) Jeanne Moreau, Philippe Lemaire
Marie Antoinette (Shadow Of The Guilotine) (1956) Michele Morgan, Richard Todd
Marie Octobre (1959) Danielle Darrieux, Serge Reggiani
Minute De Verite (Moment Of Truth) (1952) Jean Gabin, Michele Morgan
Mon Oncle Benjaim (My Uncle Benjamin) (1969) Jacques Brel, Claude Jade
Paradis Perdu (Four Flights To Love) (1940) Fernand Gravey, Elvire Popesco
Peril En La Demeure (Death In A French Garden) (1985) Richard Bohringer, Nicole Garcia
Portes De La Nuit (Gates Of The Night) Yves Montand, Serge Reggiani
Pourquoi Viens Tu Si Tard (Too Late For Love) (1959) Michele Morgan, Henri Vidal
Quand Tu Liras Cette Lettre (When You Read This Letter) (1953) Juliette Greco, Philippe Lemaire
Rendezvous De Juillet (Rendezvous In July) (1949) Daniel Gelin, Maurice Ronet
Risques De Metier (Risky Business) (1967) Jacques Brel, Emmanuelle Riva
Sorcieres De Salem (The Crucible) (1957) Simone Signoret, Yves Montand
Une Si Jolie Petite Plage (Such A Pretty Little Beach) (1949) Gerard Philipe, Madeline Robinson
Verite Sur Bebe Donge (The Truth About Bebe Donge) (1952) Jean Gabin, Danielle Darrieux
Le Voleur (Thief Of Paris) (1967) Jean Paul Belmondo, Genevieve Bujold

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the (recent) French Blu release of "Gambit". Has "Gambit" been discussed in this thread?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Yes, I've had that film for a while and watched it a few times. Visually, it's absolutely stunning. I was especially pleased by the fact that Hazel Scott has a featured role in the film. She was a virtuoso jazz pianist who was featured in RHAPSODY IN BLUE, but was apparently blacklisted due to her support for the civil rights movement and moved to France. She only plays the piano for a few moments, but she does sing a few tunes in French and interacts with Gabin and Ms. Tiller.

Hazel Scott is great, lovely jazz atmosphere. I didn't think Danielle Darrieux was very believable as a pharmacist though.

A friend asked me what I had been doing. I replied that I had watched a 1950s French b&w film with subtitles. I like this almost as much as 'Grisbi'.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
I'm close to pulling the trigger on the (recent) French Blu release of "Gambit". Has "Gambit" been discussed in this thread?
I have the French release, havent watched it fully yet, just briefly skipped through it. PQ is better than DVD, quite good, but not outstanding. Aspect ratio is correct 2.35:1, unlike the German release which was cropped. French subtitles can be switched off.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Hazel Scott is great, lovely jazz atmosphere. I didn't think Danielle Darrieux was very believable as a pharmacist though.

A friend asked me what I had been doing. I replied that I had watched a 1950s French b&w film with subtitles. I like this almost as much as 'Grisbi'.
No, Ms. Darrieux wasn't very believable, but her and Gabin did have great chemistry, a lot more than their specific character roles would imply. It looks fabulous, has great atmosphere and a swinging hard-bop soundtrack, beautifully photographed with lots of wonderful character actors. The mystery isn't very mysterious; but the getting there is lots of fun.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Our Man Flint is being released in France on the 25th of September. I think this is the first Blu-ray release since the TT sell-out. I don't know about regions yet, but if the subs situation is okay I'll be buying it. I have the TT release of In Like Flint, but Our Man Flint sold out just as I was thinking about buying it.

EDIT. It looks like no forced subs. I checked other BQHL releases on a French review site (DVDClassik), & none of them have forced subs.

https://www.amazon.fr/Notre-homme-F...&pd_rd_r=81910ce4-d5a7-4cce-b13a-f7f6fdabe3c2

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Cecil B. DeMille's The Crusades (1935) is being released in France on Dec.12. It's on the BQHL label, which seems okay, they have a number of good releases out, I have their Our Man Flint release & that's fine.

https://www.amazon.fr/Croisades-Blu...J8JE5NDZZNA&psc=1&refRID=KG9TXT1TNJ8JE5NDZZNA

Oh, & I see there's also the Brian Donleavy war movie, Wake Island (1942) & Billy Wilder's, Five Graves to Cairo (1943), both from Elephant films (who seem to release most Universal films in France), both of these should have been released on Nov.11. There is a comment complaining that they weren't in stock, but that comment is three weeks old, & both titles state in stock now.

https://www.amazon.fr/Sentinelle-Pa...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3J42FKWQD9TVV09040RC

https://www.amazon.fr/Cinq-Secrets-désert-Combo-Blu-Ray/dp/B07Z74ZYNG/ref=pd_sbs_74_1/276-0344424-5802161?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07Z74ZYNG&pd_rd_r=ffb24ef8-be7f-4214-a522-d251cf20513e&pd_rd_w=muZDh&pd_rd_wg=5i4EG&pf_rd_p=a9f5d7c2-08ef-42e9-9709-9c2a12683b28&pf_rd_r=M4VYBJNB5NY5YQ3G1Q6F&psc=1&refRID=M4VYBJNB5NY5YQ3G1Q6F

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks