What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
My LOST WORLD arrived and it looks fantastic. The subs are removable and the BD disc is region free. There are several nice extras which are only in French and, sadly, haven't English subs. Still, the widescreen image is gorgeous and the film remains a delightful guilty pleasure. Highly recommended. The 20's version is included, but it looks just as dreadful as the one on the old DVD. Supposedly a BD of that version is in the works according to a post at NitrateVille. I also received the giant boxed DVD set of the films of JEAN EPSTEIN, all of which have English subs. It's expensive but if you love early influential avant-garde films, all silent with nice scores, it is worth every cent.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks Ed. I'm sure I'll end up buying The Lost World. I never saw it at the cinema, & at one time in the early sixties it was the film I most wanted to see. I had the Dell Movie Classics comic of it, & read it 'till it fell apart. When it finally did turn up on TV I was a wee bit disappointed, but still enjoyed it, as you say, a guilty pleasure. It's films from my past that I most enjoy on Blu-ray, sixties & fifties films I saw on TV in the sixties.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The 1960 LOST WORLD is a dumb-as-nails movie (as are most Irwin Allen films), with sophomoric dialog and characters, and the ending with Professor Challenger misidentifying a newly-hatched dino is an insult to all 5-year-olds who know better. Still, as earlier mentioned, this is a guilty pleasure, one of the cornerstones of my Saturday matinee past, plus it features a truly wonderful music score by Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter (available on CD). My order is in!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ed Lachmann said:
My LOST WORLD arrived and it looks fantastic. The subs are removable and the BD disc is region free. There are several nice extras which are only in French and, sadly, haven't English subs. Still, the widescreen image is gorgeous and the film remains a delightful guilty pleasure. Highly recommended.

Yup, you're right, this has just been on the telly in HD (Film Four) & it looks great, if only the Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Blu-ray had looked this good. I hope the re-master comes close.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Billy Batson said:
Yup, you're right, this has just been on the telly in HD (Film Four) & it looks great, if only the Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Blu-ray had looked this good. I hope the re-master comes close.
Yes I watched the TV broadcast of THE LOST WORLD as well. I couldn't help thinking that it looked so much brighter and sharper than LUST FOR LIFE which BBC2 showed again about a week ago.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Keith Cobby said:
Has anybody imported Necronomicon blu-ray and could they please comment on the image quality.
I can now answer my own question. The image quality is superb, much better than I expected and superior in every way to the DVD. Although she isn't in the film for very long, I recommend it for fans of Belinda Bauer.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
A nice BD of the Korda The Jungle Book is available from Amazon France. It is sometimes soft (where the DVD was) which is due to the surviving materials, but it often turns quite vivid and sharp. All in all, a HUGE improvement and as good as we will probably ever see.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
The old problem of French discs with forced subs rears its head with their release of The Avengers series 4 so unless you have a modified player ( as I have with UOP/PUO disabled) or are happy to play on the PC then it's a set to skip.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just received a gorgeous B&W transfer of Yves Allegret's Les Orgueilleux (aka The Proud And The Beautiful) from 1953 with Gerard Philipe and Michele Morgan. It's region free and has English subtitles available. The film has both DVD and blu ray.

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
Did Sidonis put forced subs in their latest western blu-rays? I'm thinking especially of Custer of the West and the 1966 Stagecoach remake...

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received my copy of The Last Wagon today. The good news: It looks absolutely fantastic! Super sharp, with beautiful color and contrast. The bad news: forced French subs on the English track. If you don't have a way around that, you will probably want to wait for the German BD on March 24. The image is really beautiful on this disc.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I received my copy of The Last Wagon today. The good news: It looks absolutely fantastic! Super sharp, with beautiful color and contrast. The bad news: forced French subs on the English track. If you don't have a way around that, you will probably want to wait for the German BD on March 24. The image is really beautiful on this disc.

Thank you for the warning. I do now always wait before buying a French Blu-ray disc as the film often comes out a few months later in another country without burnt-in subtitles.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Probably already mentioned here somewhere but Mackenna's Gold is coming to blu-ray in France shortly. I am very interested but do not want a disc with forced subs. Hoping it gets a German release.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Probably already mentioned here somewhere but Mackenna's Gold is coming to blu-ray in France shortly. I am very interested but do not want a disc with forced subs. Hoping it gets a German release.

MacKenna's Gold will probably be the identical format as The Last Wagon - same French company is releasing it.
upload_2016-3-10_9-39-27.png
robably will

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks