What's new

Blu-Ray Disc question (1 Viewer)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Not to seem stupid but with the new Blu-Ray discs that will be coming out will they play in a regular machine or will I have to upgrade all of my players?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
You will need to upgrade and it will cost you quite a bit if you buy one when they first come out ($1000+)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Regular DVDs will play in a new Blu-Ray player and actually upscale to 720p via HDMI connection, but a Blu-Ray disc will NOT play in a standard DVD player. Sorry.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In contrast, supposedly at least some HD-DVDs will have at least some discs that will be double sided, with the hidef version on one side and a regular DVD version on the other, so you can buy and play them on your DVD player, then play the hidef side when you get a hidef player.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
And may be limited to 15 GB on one side and 5 GB on the other depending upon the viability of bonding a dual layered 30 GB HD-DVD and a dual layered 8.5 GB DVD disc together.

I hate dual sided discs, and DualDiscs suck!! They should have two separate disc formats in the package if they want to release one UPC. In the long run, it's a better way to transition.

Dan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Dual-discs wouldn't bother me if in practice it means *NO* compromise to either the SD or the HD presentation.

Of course, even then the downside is that to get a DVD-9 and a dual-layer HD DVD you've got to go double-sided...which means a flipper with no silk-screen art. Call me picky, but I HATE dual-sided DVDs that I have to read with a microscope to put in the player and then end up getting finger prints on one side getting them in and out of the package.

Picky I know but I'd rather a 2-disc SE than a DVD-18 any day of the week for that very reason....which is one reason why I'm not hot on the idea of dual-sided "dual discs".

Now...if they could give you a 2-layer DVD *and* a 2-layer HD all from ONE side of a disc...THAT would be a dual-disc solution you wouldn't hear me complain about!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks